Mango and Pear salad is one of my go-to salads whenever I feel like eating something light because it can be eaten by itself. However, it can also be a great pairing with any grilled or fried dish. The dressing is simple yet flavorful. The addition of sesame oil instead of regular oil adds some Asian flair to the salad and with Hoisin sauce, it . . . becomes even more interesting.
I hope you’ll enjoy this simple recipe and please watch the short video we created for you.
- ½ head Napa cabbage - cut in strips
- 1 Asian pear
- 1 firm mango - cut in strips
- 1 red Fresno chili pepper - please see notes **
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Wash and cut cabbage into medium strips
- Slice Asian pear
- Peel and cut mango into strips
- Slice the chili peppers
- Chop the cilantro
- Add all the ingredients above in a large salad bowl.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small jar or a bowl
- Shake the jar to incorporate all the ingredients.
- You may also whisk them in a bowl.
- Mix the salad with the dressing.
- Add the dressing a little at a time, mix, and see if it is enough.
- Continue mixing until all are incorporated.
- Serve immediately as a side dish or just by itself.
Recipe -- "Cabbage, Pear and Ginger Slaw" was adapted from by Williams-Sonoma "Salad of the Day" by Georgeanne Brennan.