Beef and Asparagus Stir Fry

Beef-Asparagus

Aside from bringing nice weather, spring also brings an abundance of delicious fruits and vegetables. One of these vegetables is asparagus. Asparagus is known to have a lot of nutritional and health benefits and not to mention, numerous delicious recipes.

Asparagus is such a versatile vegetable; you can use it in a salad, you can grill it, you can puree it and use it in a soup. My favorite way of preparing asparagus is by stir frying it. So today we are making Stir Fried Beef and Asparagus. This dish is simple, and easy to prepare.

I hope you are all enjoying spring. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful week!

Beef and Asparagus Stir Fry

• 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
For the Sauce
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • ¾ Tablespoon black bean sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
  • 2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon water
  1. Slice beef to ½ inch wide strips and then set aside.
  2. Prepare the marinade by combining soy sauce, dry sherry, cornstarch, and 2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add sliced beef and mix until fully coated.
  4. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
  5. While beef is marinating, cut the onions, bell pepper, and mince the garlic and ginger.
  6. Combine 2 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water and set aside.
  7. Combine the sauce ingredents in a sauce pan.
  8. Place the sauce pan over medium heat and stir occassionaly until it simmers.
  9. Turn off the heat and cover the sauce pan.
  10. Place wok over high heat and let the wok heat up until it's almost smoking.
  11. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
  12. When the oil is hot, add the asparagus and stir fry for 30 seconds.
  13. Add bell pepper and onion and stir fry for another 30 seconds.
  14. Transfer all the veggies in a plate and then set aside.
  15. Return the wok over high heat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
  16. When the wok is hot, add ginger and garlic.
  17. Stir fry for 10 seconds.
  18. Add slices of marinated beef.
  19. Stir fry until beef is slightly browned.
  20. Return the vegetables in the wok and stir fry for 10 seconds.
  21. Stir in the sauce and mix until all are combined.
  22. Stir in the water and cornstarch mixture.
  23. Let it boil until sauce thickens.
  24. Add Sesame oil.
  25. Serve hot with rice.

Beef-Asparagus

42 Comments → “Beef and Asparagus Stir Fry”

1. Ray, that’s a fantastic stir-fry! So fresh and colourful.

2. Sissi Identicon Sissi

Hi Ray, you have probably noticed how crazy I am for asparagus, so it will not surprise you if I say I find your stir-fry particularly tempting and inspiring. I rarely stir-fry beef (I’m a pork/chicken person), but I know my husband would love it cooked this way, so I must try your recipe one day.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you so much Sissi and I hope you and your husband would enjoy the dish. :)

3. What a colourful and flavourful dish…I loved the combo of beef with crunchy asparagus. Bookmarked!

4. Norma Chang Identicon Norma Chang

Your beef and asparagus looks yummy. Local asparagus should be on the market very soon and I am so looking forward to this spring treat.

• Ray Identicon Ray

There is just so much supply of asparagus and I am enjoying the abundance. Thank you Norma. :)

5. I’m sure that your meal was great…it sure looks delicious.

6. Great idea for a fast, easy and delicious dinner. I love asparagus and the addition of black beans. Perfect to pour on rice! Ang sarap. Thanks for your continued support. Hope you’re enjoying the spring weather, Chef Ray!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you for the kind words and your continued support as well. :)

7. This dish looks fantastic. It has such a gorgeous shine and I’m sure it’s delicious to eat.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you for the compliment Maureen! :)

8. Juliana Identicon Juliana

Ray, this is the kind of the food that I could eat everyday…looks beautiful, so colorful.
    Hope you are having a great week :D

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Juliana! :) Have a great week ahead.

9. bamskitchen Identicon bamskitchen

Ray, what a beautiful stirfry! Love the colors and that beef looks so tender and loved the little seared edges! Wishing you a super day! Take Care, BAM

• Ray Identicon Ray

They were tender indeed but got to eat it right away. Thank you BAM! :)

10. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon John@Kitchen Riffs

I have asparagus that was picked yesterday in my refrigerator right now! That needs to be cooked today. No beef, but that’s easy enough to get. ;-) This looks terrific — thanks.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Got to cook that asparagus right away or it’ll lose its crisps. Thank you John! :)

11. Mary Frances Identicon Mary Frances

A stir fry is a great way to use fresh, seasonal produce like asparagus. I love the look of this colorful dish.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Mary Frances. :)

12. Raymund Identicon Raymund

This looks fantastic! I love simple stir fries like this.

13. Sambal oleek does wonders to any dish…and this beef-stir fry looks so delicious. I have a bunch of asparagus with me, so I would love to try this.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Purabi and I hope you’d like it. :)

14. As always, Ray, mouthwatering! I have a bit of a mental block on asparagus, as it is a bit of a luxury here but actually, including as part of a dish rather than as, say, just on its own as a starter is a great way of stretching it.

I’m several hours away from dinner but I’m suddenly starving at the sight of this gorgeous dish! Have a great weekend my friend.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you very much Hester and you have a great week. :)

15. Great recipe idea for asparagus! I love stir-frys

16. Looks amazing, Ray!! That sauce sounds fantastic, love the ingredients there. Will definitely be making this! Happy Memorial Day weekend to you!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you for the compliment. You too have a great weekend! :)

17. Carolyn Jung Identicon Carolyn Jung

A classic Chinese dish that I never tire of. Best yet, it’s so easy to make at home. Can’t get enough of asparagus at this time of year, either.

• Ray Identicon Ray

It is really easy to make. Thank you, Carolyn! :)

18. Nancy@SpicieFoodie Identicon Nancy@SpicieFoodie

This is a perfect recipe in every sense of the word. I love how easy it comes together and that means more time for enjoying the beautiful weather! Thanks for sharing.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Nancy for your comment and nice to see you dropping by. :)

19. Jean Identicon Jean

Nice photos and delicious.

20. It’s been a long time since I visited Ray, but I see you’re still cooking up beautiful, vibrant wok meals! That’s what we love about wokking :) Love all the fresh ingredients here, but I can’t include Asian bottled sauces anymore due to my husband’s really strict low sodium diet. But I make do :)

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you very much and it’s nice to see you visiting, Priscilla. :)

21. Liz Identicon Liz

What a perfect, delectable stir fry! Pinning so I don’t forget to give it a try :)

Rate this recipe: