Samalamig and Sago

Samalamig-Sago2

Weather forecast for this Easter Sunday will be in the mid 80′s and it is going to be perfect for our family’s annual egg hunt. I can’t wait to see my nephews and nieces running around the yard and gathering all the eggs that they can find. It is such a joy having these kids around.

Well, aside from egg hunting, there will be lots of eating afterwards and did I mention that the temperature will be in the mid 80′s? Yes it will be on the warmer side and to counter the outdoor heat, I will be serving this simple but refreshing Filipino drink called “Samalamig.”

If you visited my site last time, I posted another version of samalamig with agar agar. This time, it will be with sago pearls. Although sago may look like tapioca pearls, they both have different origins. The brand that I use is “Tropics.” On the package, it says “Tapioca Pearls BUT underneath it says “Sago.” Don’t ask me why but that’s the brand that I always use. And if you happen to use this particular brand, just ignore the instructions in the back of the package. Thank you for reading and for those of you who celebrate Easter. . . have a happy and fun Easter Sunday!

sago-raw

Samalamig with Sago

For the Syrup
  1. 4 cups water
  2. 1 cup brown sugar
  3. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  4. crushed ice

5. For the Sago
  6. 8 oz package of Sago Pearls
  7. 2 quarts water

Making the Syrup
  1. In a pot, combine 4 cups water, brown sugar and then bring to boil over medium heat.
  2. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
  3. Add vanilla extract
  4. Remove pot from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.

5. Cooking the Sago Pearls
  6. Boil 2 quarts of water over high heat.
  7. Add sago pearls and then turn down the heat to medium.
  8. Stirring occasionally, let it boil for about 25 minutes.
  9. Turn off the heat and cover the pot.
  10. Let the sago soak until the water cools to room temperature
  11. Check the pearls if it is fully translucent and no white parts in the middle.
  12. If there are still white parts in the middle, let it boil again for another 15 minutes.
  13. Turn off the heat and cover the pot.
  14. Let it soak until white parts are almost gone.***
  15. Pour cooked sago in a colander to drain.
  16. Rinse and transfer in a container.
  17. Add some of the brown sugar syrup.
  18. Cooked sago can be kept in the fridge in a covered container for a few days.

19. Assembling the Samalamig
  20. Add cooked sago up to 1/4 of a glass.
  21. Fill glass with crushed ice.
  22. Add the syrup and then stir.

Cook-Note2
*** If the water gets thick after it cools down, rinse and replace before boiling again.

32 Comments → “Samalamig and Sago”

1. The sago balls I found over here are quite small and white..very different from those..
    The drink looks so delightful!

We have those here too but I’ve never tried them. This is I always use. Thank you Angie. :)

2. Jennie Marcial Identicon Icon Jennie Marcial

This drink brings back nice childhood memories. Nice picture.

3. Liz Identicon Icon Liz

What a gorgeous presentation! I tried making my own pearls using agar agar, but it was a complete disaster! I’m so glad I can just buy them :) I hope you had a terrific Easter…our weather was glorious, too!

Thank you Liz. I hope you try these ones. :)

I never have consistent results with my sago, sometimes they turn out good other times they do not. Some recipes call for soaking the sago. I am going to look for your brand and try your method.

Sago always take a long time to cook. I hope you try it. Thank you Norma. :)

5. Row Identicon Icon Row

One of the ideal drinks for summer weather! Thanks for the recipe and Happy belated Easter! :)

6. This is so interesting and something I KNOW I would enjoy. Thanks so much for sharing this one!

Bigla akong nuhaw nung nakita ko to :)
    I used to drink a lot of this back in high school served on plastic bags and begging for extra sago. It brings a lot of memories

Me too but not with plastic bag but with public glass and looking back it’s kind of yucky. Haha! Thank you Raymund. :)

8. We have had those delighful tapioca pears in fruit drinks, but also in chocolate milk which is a personal favorite. Hope you had a wonderful Easter! J+C

They are great with slush and other fruit drinks. Thank you Judit and Corina. :)

I love the texture of the sago pearl..chewy…this is such a refreshing drink Ray…I love it!
    Hope you are having a fantastic week :D

Me too I like the chewy texture of them. Thank you Juliana and have a good weekend. :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter! It was beautiful here as well. Some family flew in from Dallas and Florida so it was a great day relaxing on the front porch watching other families playing the park across the street and all of the little girls and boys dressed in Sunday best, hunting for eggs. Couldn’t have been a better day! :) What an interesting and delicious looking drink! I’ve never had sago pearls nor tapioca pearls, but have always been curious about them. I love drinks with texture and this one looks like it has plenty. Thanks for sharing Ray and I hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend!

It is always nice to celebrate occasions like Easter with families. Thank you MJ and I have a good week ahead. :)

11. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon Icon John@Kitchen Riffs

What a fun dish! And how great that you can buy the pearls. Looks like something I’d definitely enjoy, and it looks gorgeous. Thanks so much!

It is always available at most Asian Groceries. Thank you very much John. :)

Ray, this drink looks even more mysterious and unusual than the previous one! I really must test it one day. Thank you for teaching me once more something new.

It is just a very simple and easy to make drink. I hope you’d enjoy it. Thank you Sissi! :)

13. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

Brown sugar makes this drink taste so good. I just love chewing on those little saga pearls, don’t you? Do you a drink similar in the Philippines to what we have in Hong Kong with the tea, sweetened condensed milk and the pearls? Just wondering…I like your version better as it is light and sweet.

No it’s just straight brown sugar. Thank you for your comment, BAM :)

14. Extra sago for me please! I’m thirsty looking at your cold delicious drink! This week is going to be warm up here and this drink is perfect!

15. Yours is the best recipe for Sago at Gulaman ! You explained very well how to cook the sago-tapioca balls, which are difficult to do, especially making sure the white parts are gone completely. This will be a great beverage-merienda for the summer. Thanks for sharing and hope all is well, Chef Ray!

Thank you Elizabeth and I’m glad that you like it.

16. Mary Frances Identicon Icon Mary Frances

This looks so refreshing. There’s something so cute about tapioca balls in drinks. I’ve never had Sago brand but I’ll definitely look for it!

Thank you for your comment, Mary Fances. :)