Samalamig and Gulaman

Samalamig with Gulaman

Samalamig is the term used by Filipinos that refers to thirst-quenching juices. During the months of a hot and humid summer, these delicious treats are sold by the street vendors where passersby can easily purchase and enjoy them. These refreshing drinks come in a variety of flavors such as shredded coconut juice flavored with pandan, cantaloupe juice, and brown sugar syrup with sago pearls. The flavor that we are making today is brown sugar syrup with gulaman, or agar agar.

This is a very simple drink with only a few ingredients and is very easy to make. You may adjust and tone down the sweetness if you prefer by just adding more ice in your glass. I hope you enjoy this treat and thank you so much for reading.

Samalamig and Gulaman

For the Syrup
  1. 4 cups water
  2. 1 cup brown sugar
  3. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  4. crushed ice

5. For the Agar Agar
  6. 1 stick agar agar
  7. 1/2 cup sugar
  8. 2 3/4 cup water
  9. 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Making the Syrup
  1. In a pot, combine 4 cups water, brown sugar and then bring to boil over medium heat.
  2. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
  3. Add vanilla extract
  4. Remove pot from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.

5. Making the Agar Agar
  6. Add water in a pot.
  7. Add agar agar stick and let soak for 30 minutes.
  8. Place pot over medium heat.
  9. Add sugar, stir, and let it cook for 15 minutes.
  10. Stir in vanilla extract.
  11. Transfer in a flat pan and let it cool until it hardens.
  12. Cut into small squares.

13. Assembling the Samalamig
  14. Add agar agar cubes up to 1/4 of a glass.
  15. Fill glass with crushed ice.
  16. Add the syrup and then stir.

38 Comments → “Samalamig and Gulaman”

1. cquek Identicon Icon cquek

Great combination of flavors and textures

2. I love to read about dishes from faraway places that are so different from what I grew up with in sparcely populated Maine in the US. Our food was so ‘ordinary’ compared to things like this. Love it!

Oh this is ordinary as well. Thank you for your comment, Maureen. :)

This sure sounds like a refreshing summer drink. I don’t recall seeing colored agar agar stick, need to pay better attention when I am shopping.

It sure is a good summer treat. There are green, white, and yellow I think. Thank you Norma. :)

Such a beautiful drink…it sure looks very refreshing…I absolutely love the color.
    Have a wonderful weekend Ray :D

Thank you for the kind words, Juliana. Have a lovely weekend as well. :)

5. Wow, what a refreshing drink! I love the name…it is definitely very colourful and full of flavours!

6. cristina Identicon Icon cristina

Beautiful and refreshing drink…the colors are so bright and inviting! :)

7. Ray, your photo is terrific…I almost wanted to wipe the moisture off the glass. :) Tell me, is the agar agar red or did you add something to make your drink that color?

No I didn’t add anything to the drink. The agar agar stick was red right off the package and the drink was brownish color because of the brown sugar. I guess it’s the combination of the two colors plus the reflection of the natural lights hitting the glass. Thank you for the compliment, Karen. :)

8. Asian Slow Cooking Identicon Icon Asian Slow Cooking

Wow!! This looks refreshing. Have to try this. Thanks for the recipe.

Thank you for the comment Amrita. :)

9. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon Icon John@Kitchen Riffs

Try saying Samalamig and Gulaman 5 times in a row fast! Maybe easy for you, but a tongue twister for me. Looks like awfully good stuff, though. New to me, but something I should try. Thanks.

Ha ha ha! It’s okay John I would have to say it slowly myself. Thank you John. :)

10. It looks amazing, Ray! Love the vibrant color and it does look and sound very refreshing…Great picture too! Have a great weekend!

Thank you for the kind words Sandra and you too have a great weekend. :)

11. So refreshing and healthy as well! I have never seen red agar agar sticks before….really interesting!

12. Liz Identicon Icon Liz

Wow, this is totally new to me! But both beautiful and refreshing is perfect for the hot days of summer!

Thank you for the compliment, Liz. :)

Ray, I already feel refreshed only looking at your photograph! Cubes of jelly in a glass filled with ice is a completely new drink concept for me, but I love it. I am a regular agar user, but I have never used the coloured sticks (though I see them here in Asian shops). You have obtained such a gorgeous red colour!

I always use the colorless or white in the past and this is the first time I’ve used colored agar. I see them in red, and yellow as well. Thank you for the compliment, Sissi. :)

14. Looks fantastic, Ray! And your photos are as gorgeous as ever!

Thank you for the compliment Kristy. :)

15. Ann@Anncoo Journal Identicon Icon Ann@Anncoo Journal

Hi Ray, You know I love jelly and this is one of them that I’d love to try. So refreshing and pretty :)

Well this is VERY different! I’ve never seen a drink like this much less had one. It sounds extremely tasty Ray! I have some agar agar powder, but I’ve never seen agar agar sticks. I wonder if I can make the sticks from the powder. Looks like I have some research to do. Love this Ray! Hope you’re having a wonderful week!

Filipinos love to eat, so we add a little something to chew while drinking. Hahaha! Thank you MJ. :)

17. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

Perfect beverage for a steamy hot day. Love that bright red colour of your agar agar. Have a super weekend. Take care, BAM

Thank you BAM and you too have a great weekend. :)

18. Renalyn Ibale Identicon Icon Renalyn Ibale

chew while drink pinoy style yeah true its like icecandy ang lamig for this summer…
    how come the pictures are so crispy? what camera you use?

Chew while drinking – that is the best part and the Filipino way. On this shot, I used my old Canon T2i with Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. Thank you for your interest and thank you for visiting, Renalyn. :)

19. In one word: lovely! I loved the beautiful throw of colours in Samalamig and Gulaman. Agar agar is like magician, it can do so many different things in different ways!

Thank you for the kind words, Purabi. :)

two × 3 =