Sesame chicken is one of my children’s favorite Chinese dishes from the take out menu. It is pretty good except the batter, which is so thick that you have to chew harder in order for you to have a bite of that chicken inside. I guess that’s what commercial cooking is all about right? Well, I have decided to cook it myself and this way, I could control the flavor and what goes in it.
So, here you are my friends — home cooked sesame chicken. Bon appétit!
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 stalks green onion -thinly sliced for garnishing
- 3 Tablespoon sesame seeds - lightly toasted
- ¼ cup sifted all purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1½ Tablespoon dry sherry
- 4 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1½ Tablespoon distilled vinegar
- 1½ Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste -- you may use Sambal
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ cup water
- 2½ Tablespoon cornstarch
- Cut chicken to bite size pieces and then set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the batter ingredients. Mix until fully combined and smooth.
- Add chicken and then mix until fully coated with batter.
- Set aside in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from the fridge to room temperature.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Place pan over medium heat and then let the sauce boil.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the sauce thickener and then set aside.
- When the sauce begins to boil, slowly add the thickener while mixing it.
- Turn off the heat when the sauce thickens.
- Place wok over high heat.
- Add 3 cups vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add chicken pieces and fry until golden brown. **
- Set aside on a paper-lined plate or pan.
- Repeat the process until all pieces are fried.
- Transfer oil in a bowl to cool and discard.
- Return wok over high heat.
- Return all of the cooked chicken pieces.
- Slowly pour in ⅓ of the thickened sauce.
- Mix well until all chicken pieces are fully coated with the sauce.
- Add more if thicker coating is desired.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion.
- Serve hot with rice.
Your comment is always appreciated.