Binagoongan with Lechon Kawali and Eggplant

binagoongan

Shrimp paste or bagoong alamang as we call it in the Philippines is a very popular ingredient used in South East Asia. In the Philippines, shrimp paste is used as a condiment for the popular Kare Kare (ox tail peanut stew) or used as a topping to counter the sour flavor of Philippine green mangoes.

Earlier last month, I posted Lechon Kawali (Deep Fried Pork Belly). Lechon Kawali is the crispy skin and succulent pork belly. Now, we will use it and turn it into “Binagoongan.” Binagoongan is pork stewed in shrimp paste. Whenever we have this dish (not very often), we eat it with lots of rice and sometimes with vinegar concoctions on the side.

Now, there are many dishes that you shouldn’t be eating often and this delicious dish is one of them. Fat and salt contents are the obvious reasons.

BAGOONG-LUTONG-BAHAY

Binagoongan with Lechon Kawali and Eggplant

• Lechon Kawali from 2 lbs pork belly -- click here for the recipe
  • 1 Chinese eggplant - cut to one inch cubes.
  • ¾ cup shrimp paste
  • 1 jalapeno pepper (optional) - thinly sliced
  • 5 cloves garlic - finely chopped
  • 1 medium onion - finely chopped
  • 1 medium tomato - finely chopped
  • ⅓ cup water
  • 3 Tablespoon white vinegar
  • 4 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Chop Lechon Kawali to bite size pieces then set aside.
  2. Place wok over medium high heat then add oil.
  3. When the oil is hot, add onion and saute until translucent.
  4. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
  5. Add tomato and saute until soft.
  6. Add shrimp paste and mix to combine for about 2 minutes.
  7. Add water, vinegar, and sugar and let it boil.
  8. Turn the heat down to medium low.
  9. Stirring occasionally, let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
  10. Mix in eggplants and pork and the optional jalapeno pepper.
  11. Mix and cook until eggplants are tender.
  12. Serve with rice.

FacebookGoogle+Email

Comments

1. says

Yum yum! I opened up a jar of bagoong alamang last week when I made some kare kare, so this is a great follow-up dish to make. Thanks and have a good week! :)

2. says

What an unusual dish! I would never have thought to have combined eggplant and pork belly in any way. Oh yea, I can see that it’s not a dish that one should eat often, but we do all need to splurge once in a while and looks like a great way to splurge! Have a wonderful week Ray!

3. says

It sounds amazing! I am impatient to try it when aubergines are in season (I have Thai shrimp paste, but I hope it would work here more or less…). I love every single ingredient and it looks so tempting on your photograph… Thank you for sharing one more exotic (at least for me) dish with us!

4. says

This dish sounds and looks very flavorful…can you believe that I have never used shrimp paste, but can imagine how tasty it adds to a dish. Thanks for the recipe Ray, hope you are enjoying your week ๐Ÿ˜€

5. says

I love all the exotic ingredients I learn about on your site (exotic to me, anyway). I shop at our asian market fairly frequently but I would never have known what to do with shrimp paste. Can’t wait to try making this!

6. says

I am drooling in front of my computer just looking at it!! I had this delicious dish at a restuarant before I absolutely love the flavor and the texture of the crackling pork. Great recipe and it’s something I’ll make at home! Thanks.

7. says

I love visiting your blog Ray. You always have a new dish for me to learn. I’ve never seen salted baby shrimp before, and I love eggplant. This dish looks like a must try for me.

8. Labad Identicon Labad says

Did you fry the sliced eggplant first before you mixed it with the rest or not? I remember seeing a recipe in the past that needed the eggplant fried. What do you think? Thanks for the recipe.

• says

I tried that method before but I found that it over-cooks the eggplants and at the end, they become mushy. Of course, it is a matter of preference. Thank you for asking. :)

9. says

How did I miss this post? Or maybe I left a comment and forgot I did. Just the same it was hard to resist this one. I love the combination of lechon kawali with eggplant, esp. if it’s my fave Asian eggplant. Thanks for sharing this recipe and the nice blog visit, Chef Ray!

10. says

What a delightful twist on the classic binagoongan. I am sure the crisp lechon kawali pairs very well with the bagoong and eggplant. Will be trying this soon! Thanks for sharing, Ray :)