Binagoongan with Lechon Kawali and Eggplant

binagoongan

Shrimp paste or bagoong alamang as we call it in the Philippines is a very popular ingredient used in South East Asia. In the Philippines, shrimp paste is used as a condiment for the popular Kare Kare (ox tail peanut stew) or used as a topping to counter the sour flavor of Philippine green mangoes.

Earlier last month, I posted Lechon Kawali (Deep Fried Pork Belly). Lechon Kawali is the crispy skin and succulent pork belly. Now, we will use it and turn it into “Binagoongan.” Binagoongan is pork stewed in shrimp paste. Whenever we have this dish (not very often), we eat it with lots of rice and sometimes with vinegar concoctions on the side.

Now, there are many dishes that you shouldn’t be eating often and this delicious dish is one of them. Fat and salt contents are the obvious reasons.

BAGOONG-LUTONG-BAHAY

Binagoongan with Lechon Kawali and Eggplant

• Lechon Kawali from 2 lbs pork belly -- click here for the recipe
  • 1 Chinese eggplant - cut to one inch cubes.
  • ¾ cup shrimp paste
  • 1 jalapeno pepper (optional) - thinly sliced
  • 5 cloves garlic - finely chopped
  • 1 medium onion - finely chopped
  • 1 medium tomato - finely chopped
  • ⅓ cup water
  • 3 Tablespoon white vinegar
  • 4 Tablespoon Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Chop Lechon Kawali to bite size pieces then set aside.
  2. Place wok over medium high heat then add oil.
  3. When the oil is hot, add onion and saute until translucent.
  4. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
  5. Add tomato and saute until soft.
  6. Add shrimp paste and mix to combine for about 2 minutes.
  7. Add water, vinegar, and sugar and let it boil.
  8. Turn the heat down to medium low.
  9. Stirring occasionally, let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
  10. Mix in eggplants and pork and the optional jalapeno pepper.
  11. Mix and cook until eggplants are tender.
  12. Serve with rice.

Related Posts

41 Comments → “Binagoongan with Lechon Kawali and Eggplant”

1. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon John@Kitchen Riffs

This looks wonderful! This is a new dish for me, and the flavors sound incredible. Really nice — thanks so much.

2. Row Identicon Row

Yum yum! I opened up a jar of bagoong alamang last week when I made some kare kare, so this is a great follow-up dish to make. Thanks and have a good week! :)

• Ray Identicon Ray

Yummy back to back.:) Thank you Row.

3. mjskit Identicon mjskit

What an unusual dish! I would never have thought to have combined eggplant and pork belly in any way. Oh yea, I can see that it’s not a dish that one should eat often, but we do all need to splurge once in a while and looks like a great way to splurge! Have a wonderful week Ray!

• Ray Identicon Ray

It is really an unusual dish and I would only eat it once in a while. Thank you MJ! :)

4. Deeeeeeeelicious! I’ve just put away a curry but I’m utterly tempted by this gorgeous dish, Ray. What a great name too! Hope you are having a lovely week!

• Ray Identicon Ray

It is a good name but it’s kind of hard to pronounce for some. Thank you Hester. :)

5. Mary Frances Identicon Mary Frances

Beautiful! I LOVE eggplant, so this sounds like a great recipe!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Mary Frances. :)

6. Liz Identicon Liz

I hope I get to sample this dish one day! Way different from my usual fare, but it sounds darn tasty!

• Ray Identicon Ray

It is tasty and great with rice. Thank you Liz. :)

7. Sissi Identicon Sissi

It sounds amazing! I am impatient to try it when aubergines are in season (I have Thai shrimp paste, but I hope it would work here more or less…). I love every single ingredient and it looks so tempting on your photograph… Thank you for sharing one more exotic (at least for me) dish with us!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thai shrimp paste should work the same. Thank you Sissi. :)

8. Juliana Identicon Juliana

This dish sounds and looks very flavorful…can you believe that I have never used shrimp paste, but can imagine how tasty it adds to a dish. Thanks for the recipe Ray, hope you are enjoying your week :D

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Juliana and Have a great weekend. :)

9. I love all the exotic ingredients I learn about on your site (exotic to me, anyway). I shop at our asian market fairly frequently but I would never have known what to do with shrimp paste. Can’t wait to try making this!

• Ray Identicon Ray

I hope you’d like it Kristy. Thank you. :)

10. Yi @ Yi Reservation Identicon Yi @ Yi Reservation

I am drooling in front of my computer just looking at it!! I had this delicious dish at a restuarant before I absolutely love the flavor and the texture of the crackling pork. Great recipe and it’s something I’ll make at home! Thanks.

11. I just showed your dish to my husband and he says it sounds great. :)

• Ray Identicon Ray

Your husband is a good man. Thank you Karen. :)

12. I have used and have Thai shrimp paste in my fridge but never used Filipino one. This dish sounds delicious. Love using eggplant for the purpose of soaking up flavors. My favorite!

• Ray Identicon Ray

The Filipino ones are a little stronger in flavor. Thank you Nami. :)

13. bamskitchen Identicon bamskitchen

Reading your recipe ingredient is making me hungry. I don’t even need taste this to know it is going to taste fantastic. Have a super weekend.

14. sippitysup Identicon sippitysup

You’ve inspired me to pick up a jar. We have a great Filipino market near my house in Los Angeles. GREG

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Greg. I hope you’d like it. :)

15. Kristi Rimkus Identicon Kristi Rimkus

I love visiting your blog Ray. You always have a new dish for me to learn. I’ve never seen salted baby shrimp before, and I love eggplant. This dish looks like a must try for me.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Kristi. I hope you’d like the dish. :)

16. cquek Identicon cquek

Your food always looks so colourful and beautiful

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you for the compliment cquek. :)

17. Ann Low Identicon Ann Low

Love all the ingredients here. I’d love to try this delicious dish for my family. Thanks for sharing, Ray :)

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Ann. I hope you’d like it. :)

18. Labad Identicon Labad

Did you fry the sliced eggplant first before you mixed it with the rest or not? I remember seeing a recipe in the past that needed the eggplant fried. What do you think? Thanks for the recipe.

• Ray Identicon Ray

I tried that method before but I found that it over-cooks the eggplants and at the end, they become mushy. Of course, it is a matter of preference. Thank you for asking. :)

19. How did I miss this post? Or maybe I left a comment and forgot I did. Just the same it was hard to resist this one. I love the combination of lechon kawali with eggplant, esp. if it’s my fave Asian eggplant. Thanks for sharing this recipe and the nice blog visit, Chef Ray!

20. Wow, what a nice dish. It’s a great way to feed the family with eggplants. My family doesn’t like eggplants much, but I think, if cooked in this way, they will surely love it.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you so much, Purabi.

21. lalaine Identicon lalaine

1 week ago

What a delightful twist on the classic binagoongan. I am sure the crisp lechon kawali pairs very well with the bagoong and eggplant. Will be trying this soon! Thanks for sharing, Ray :)

1 week ago

Thank you for your comment, Lalaine. :)

Rate this recipe: