Lechon Kawali

LECHON-KAWALI

Pick up a piece with a fork or just simply pick up a piece with your fingers. Dip it in that sweet and spicy liver sauce before you put it in your mouth. You will feel the crunch and the succulence on each and every bite.

Lechon is a Spanish word for “suckling pig.” In the Philippines, the word “lechon” means “roasted pig” or a fancier name “Lechon de Leche” meaning “Roasted Suckling Pig.” Okay, am I confusing you? Don’t worry, I’m confused too. Traditionally, lechon is roasted as a whole pig over hot coal over several hours until the skin becomes crisp. Check out Jun Belen’s post about lechon in the Philippines.

Now, “Lechon Kawali” is a different animal (no pun intended). Although, we are still using pig in this dish, we are only using part of the pig. We will be using the belly and we will not roast it, but instead we will deep fry it.

Lechon Kawali

• 2 lbs pork belly (whole)
  • ¼ cup oyster sauce
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 2 Tablespoon salt
  • 5 cloves garlic - crushed
  • 1 small onion - peeled and quartered
  • 1 teaspoon whole pepper corn
  • Water for boiling
  • 5 cups vegetable oil
  1. Place pork belly in a large stock pot.
  2. Add water (about 1 inch above pork belly to submerge it)
  3. Add bay leaves, oyster sauce, salt, onion, garlic, and pepper corn.
  4. Bring water to boil and reduce the heat to medium.
  5. Boil until tender (when you can prick with fork).
  6. Remove pork belly from the pot and into a strainer to drain and to cool to room temperature.
  7. Place pork belly in a plate and refrigerate for at least 8 hours to air dry.
Deep Frying the Pork Belly
  1. Place large pot over medium-high heat.
  2. Add vegetable oil.
  3. Heat up the oil
  4. Take the pork belly out of the refrigerator.
  5. Carefully place pork belly the the skin down. ** PLEASE SEE COOK'S NOTE
  6. Fry until golden brown.
  7. Turn pork belly and fry the other side.
  8. Remove pork belly from the pot and place in a colander to drain the excess oil.
  9. Chop and slice pork belly into cubes.
  10. Serve with traditional sweet and spicy liver sauce.
Notes
**Make sure that you are holding the pot cover in front of you while placing the pork belly in hot oil as it will splatter. Also, you may want to wear a long sleeve clothing to cover your arms. Be EXTRA careful! :)

LECHON-KAWALI-CLOSE-UP

23 Comments → “Lechon Kawali”

1. Norma Chang Identicon Norma Chang

I can hear the crunch of the crispy skin. Never heard of liver sauce, this is new to me.

2. Sissi Identicon Sissi

Ray, it sounds too good to be true! Now I will dream about deep-fried pork belly this night. Can anything be more extravagantly wonderful in these politically correct times than deep-fried fatty pork cut? I love the idea and I love pork, so I’m bookmarking it!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Sissi and I hope you try it and enjoy it. :)

3. Liz Identicon Liz

There might be some confusion about the name, but there’s no confusion about this pork’s deliciousness! What a fantastic dish, Ray!

4. mjskit Identicon mjskit

Oh my! To heck with a fork. I would definitely use my fingers to eat these so I could lick them afterwards. These look SO good Ray!! Hope you’re having a fabulous week!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you MJ and you too have a great week and weekend ahead. :)

5. Yi @ Yi Reservation Identicon Yi @ Yi Reservation

Who does not like crispy pork!! I have had this dish at my local Filipino restaurant and I absolutely love the sweet liver dipping sauce!! I also make the Chinese version of it from time to time but it’s not the same without that liver sauce…Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe Ray!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you Yi. I am glad you like the liver sauce. They taste wonderful! :)

6. Helene D'Souza Identicon Helene D'Souza

Oh wow deep fried pork belly, that’s just brilliant! I bet the fats are not that flubby ( I hate when they are flubby) but crisp and flavorful. Thanks fro sharing your recipe Ray and I wish you a lovely weekend!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you for the visit Helene and you too have a lovely weekend. :)

7. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon John@Kitchen Riffs

Wow! This sounds wonderful! I’d be using my fingers to eat this, but I’m a savage. ;-) Really nice – thanks.

• Ray Identicon Ray

Sometimes using our fingers to eat is fun. :) Thank you John.

8. bamskitchen Identicon bamskitchen

Hello Ray, life is always better with a little pork cracking! Delicious. Have a super weekend. BAM

• Ray Identicon Ray

With moderation, it is always fun. Thank you BAM and great weekend too. :)

9. Angie@Angie's Recipes Identicon Angie@Angie's Recipes

Looks fingerlickingly delicious and crisp!

10. Raymund Identicon Raymund

Like what we usually call it “Pampabata” pero masarap specially with beer and Mang Tomas

11. Pork belly! It’s cooked to perfection. Looks really nice and crispy and I can tell from the beautiful pics!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you for the compliment, Nami! :)

12. Oh, how did I miss this recipe? I love pork belly. I love the fatty exterior, the skin and the soft inside part. Melt-in-the-mouth pork belly like this makes me hungry, although my stomach is totally full. And your photographs are just amazing, Ray!

• Ray Identicon Ray

Thank you for the kind words Purabi. :)

Rate this recipe: