Tokwa’t Baboy (Fried Tofu and Pork)

Tokwa-At-Baboy

Underneath that crunchy fried tofu and sliced pork are wonderful, complimenting flavors of soy sauce, vinegar, onions, and of course, the heat of chili peppers. So when you push that fork to get those yummy pieces of tofu and pork, push a little deeper to pick up and enjoy all of those flavors.

Tokwa’t Baboy literally means “tofu and pork.” It is dish traditionally eaten as a side dish with the Filipino’s version of congee, which is lugaw and arroz caldo. In some occasions, it is also eaten as “pulutan” or finger food with alcohol beverages like beer and hard liquor.

Tokwa’t Baboy

14. 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  15. 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  16. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  17. 1 small red onion - diced
  18. 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  19. 3 Thai chili pepper - cut thinly

1. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a colander to drain.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine all the vinegar mixture and then set aside.
  3. Place small sauce pan over medium heat.
  4. Add water, salt, bay leaves, and pork belly.
  5. Let it simmer until pork skin is soft enough to be pricked with fork (about 30 minutes)
  6. Remove from pan and set aside to cool and drain.
  7. Slice boiled pork belly thinly and about 1 inch wide.
  8. Place wok over high heat and then add 1 tablespoon oil.
  9. When the oil is hot, add sliced pork and stir fry until light browned.
  10. Transfer in the vinegar mixture and toss. Let it soak for about 15 minutes.
  11. Return wok over high heat and then add 1 cup vegetable oil.
  12. When the oil is hot, deep fry tofu until they are golden brown and crispy.
  13. You may have to do it in two or three batches.
  14. Place cooked tofu in a colander to drain.
  15. Toss in hot tofu in the vinegar mixture with the fried pork.
  16. Serve immediately.

Lugaw-with-Tokwa-Baboy

Chicken Arroz Caldo

1. 1 whole chicken – cut into serving pieces
  2. 1 medium onion – chopped
  3. 1 cup uncooked rice
  4. 2 1/2 Tablespoon finely minced ginger
  5. 2 Tablespoon finely minced garlic
  6. 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  7. Salt or Patis(Fish Sauce) to taste
  8. Gound black pepper to taste
  9. 6 cups water (add more if it rice becomes too thick)
  10. 1 cup chopped green onions or scallion for flavoring and garnishing (chop but separate the white parts)
  11. Sesame oil to taste.
  12. Slices of lemon or calamansi.
  13. 1 teaspoon kasubha or safflower for coloring.

1. Place wok or large casserole over medium-high heat then add oil.
  2. When the oil is hot,add onions, garlic, and ginger.
  3. Stir fry until onion is translucent.
  4. Add chicken then stir fry until chicken is seared to light brown.
  5. Add water and let it boil.
  6. Remove all the foam that will float on top of the water.
  7. Add rice and let it boil.
  8. Stir occasionally to avoid rice from sticking to the bottom.
  9. Add the safflower.
  10. Add the whites parts of the green onion.
  11. Add salt or fish sauce as needed.
  12. Add ground pepper.
  13. Serve hot topped with chopped green onion.
  14. Toasted garlic, lemon or calamansi, additional chopped green onions, and sesame oil may be served on the side.

Tokwa-At-Baboy

31 Comments → “Tokwa’t Baboy (Fried Tofu and Pork)”

1. Oh my I can just imagine the crunch of the tokwa and then the baboy. This is one of my favorite comfort dishes. I haven’t had this in a while. With colder days ahead, this is perfect. Thanks for sharing and the nice blog visit. Have a wonderful holiday season and Merry Christmas to you and the family, Chef Ray!

It is a great comfort food indeed. Merry Christmas to you too and yours Elizabeth. :)

I remember Goodah with this post, open 25 hours :)
    Sarap after inuman.

Perfect for hang over. Thank you Raymund! :)

3. I definitely got hungry the minute I looked at your photos and read this post. I love deep fried tofu dish that soaks up all the delicious flavors and there’s my favorite pork belly. How flavorful! I’m not familiar with cane vinegar. I’m curious how it tastes like. :)

Cane vinegar is a milder type of vinegar and it usually goes with the brand of Datu Puti. Thank you for the compliment Nami!

4. This is the food for the soul, Ray. The tofu are so crisp and delicious.

It is snowing and very cold in the Hudson Valley, a large bowl of your chicken congee and a dish of your tofu and pork dish would be so comforting.

Perfect for the weather Norma. Stay warm and take care. :)

6. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon Icon John@Kitchen Riffs

Wow! Love pork belly, and this is a new dish to me. Lovely flavors – you’ve outdone yourself! Thanks for this.

Thank you very much John! :)

7. Liz Identicon Icon Liz

Oh, yeah, I’d definitely dig deep for more sauce! What a lovely, flavorful dish, Ray. Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too Liz! :)

8. Yi @ Yi Reservation Identicon Icon Yi @ Yi Reservation

The pork belly is making me drool right now Ray! I love anything cooked with pork belly not to mention it’s another my favorite ingredient tofu! This is really comforting!

Me too; I love pork belly dishes. Thank you Yi!

9. It’s perfect for a hangover? Well then, I’d better have some after Christmas eve. The mister will have his share and mine too and then he’ll need this. :)

10. Mary Frances Identicon Icon Mary Frances

There are a lot beautiful of colors and textures going on in that Tokwa’t Baboy! I bet it tastes as good as it looks!

Thank you Mary Frances and welcome to Wok with Ray! :)

I love the idea of deep frying the tofu…crispy…and so tasty with pork belly….I can only imagine the flavor of this dish.
    Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year Ray :D

Thank you Juliana and you too have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :)

Other than fried, tofu has never appealed to me much, and I LOVE fried tofu; therefore, your tofu & pork jumps right out at me and screams “Make me!!!”! As with all of your dishes, I want this on my dinner table! Great flavors, wonderful textures, GREAT DISH Ray!
    I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

13. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Ray.

14. cristina Identicon Icon cristina

Dearest Ray: Happy Holidays to you and your family. Thank you for visting TC and apologies I’ve been offline for the most part these weeks. Happiest of New Year 2014!! ;)

15. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

Love how your tofu almost looks crispy, it must be that delicious pork belly fat it is cooked in. I think possibly even my picky teenagers might give tofu a try if I made your recipe. Wishing you and your family a safe and happy holiday. Take Care, BAM

16. Ray, I love your food. 99 times out of 100 you introduce me to a new dish (two in this post!). Love all the flavours and textures of the Tokwat Baboy, and the bowl of chicken soup is like a big hug.

Wishing you a belated Merry Christmas and a thousand good wishes for 2014, Ray.

17. Your food photographs are just wonderful…I couldn’t stop gazing at these two dishes. Both the dishes are great. Tofu with pork…both the ingredients are among my favourites, so I just can’t stop drooling. Please send me some! :)

18. YUM! This is such a flavorful and delicious dish, Ray! Very tempting pictures too! I wish you happy New year!

19. This dish looks so wonderfully vibrant from the red and green onions and the tofu does look crisp. Cheers! J+C