Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice

Pineapple-Fried-Rice-Top

This is my simpler version of pineapple fried rice that is served at your favorite Thai restaurants. I’ve seen many variations of this delicious dish. Some have raisins, some have curry, and some with chopped roasted cashews in it and you may definitely add them if you wish.

As far as pineapples, you can use canned ones or you can use the fresh ones. If you are using fresh pineapple, just make sure that it is ripe and sweet.

Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice

1. 5 cups one (or two) day old steamed long grain rice -- refrigerated.
  2. 3/4 lb medium to large shrimp -- peeled and deveined
  3. 2 eggs - lightly beaten
  4. 1 1/2 cup diced fresh or canned pineapple -- drained
  5. 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
  6. 1 small onion - sliced
  7. 1 Tablespoon finely chopped garlic
  8. 1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger
  9. 1 1/2 Tablespoon fish sauce
  10. 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  11. 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
  12. 2 teaspoon sambal oelek
  13. 3 Tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Separate all of the grains of rice and set them aside.
  2. Mix fish sauce, sambal, ground black pepper, and salt in a small bowl and set these aside.
  3. Place wok over high heat.
  4. Add 1 tablespoon of oil.
  5. When the oil is hot, add eggs.
  6. Lightly cook and scramble the eggs and set them aside.
  7. Add 1 tablespoon oil in a hot wok.
  8. When the oil is hot, add shrimp and shrimp heads.
  9. Stir fry until shrimp and shrimp heads turn light pink.
  10. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from the wok and set them aside (discard the heads).
  11. Reheat the wok and add remaining vegetable oil.
  12. When the oil is hot, add garlic and ginger.
  13. Stir fry until fragrant but not burned.
  14. Add chopped pineapple, cilantro, and onions and stir fry for 30 seconds.
  15. Add rice and scrambled eggs and keep stirring until all ingredients are mixed in.
  16. Add fish sauce mixture and keep stirring until rice is well coated.
  17. Add shrimp (yes including the juice) and keep stirring until fried rice is well cooked.
  18. Add more salt if needed.
  19. Serve immediately like RIGHT NOW! AT THIS MOMENT! PRONTO! Okay I'm just kidding. :)
  20. Serve it warm.

Rouxbe Online Cooking School & Video Recipes

Pineapple-Fried-Rice-Top

28 Comments → “Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice”

1. cristina Identicon Icon cristina

Hi Ray: How have you been? For some reason, I’m not receiving your posts by email, anymore. Didn’t receive this one… Mmmmm…great combination of the shrimp and pineapple. A meal in itself and beautiful too!

I am well Tina. Thank you. Did you unsubscribe? Ha ha, I’m just kidding. Thank you for the kind words and I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season. :)

One of my favorites. I would add nuts but not raisins.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvest Monday, December 2, 2013 – Container Gai Lan + Sunchoke + A Stir-fryMy Profile

I’m glad you like cashews and me too not a big fan of raisins in a dish. I only like it by itself. Thank you, Norma! :)

3. The photo of your delicious looking dish is making me so hungry. I’ve got to head to the kitchen and start dinner soon. :)
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Beans And Greens, Quick, Easy And HealthyMy Profile

Thank you very much Karen. :)

4. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon Icon John@Kitchen Riffs

I love pineapple fried rice! I sometimes make it with shrimp, sometimes with leftover pork roast. The shrimp version is better, although I like both. This looks excellent – thanks so much.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..The Seelbach CocktailMy Profile

I agree, the shrimp and pineapple is a better combo. Thank you John! :)

You just made us one of my favorite fried rice dishes! I’ve made it a couple of time at home but it’s never as good as what I buy at a restaurant. Yours of course is restaurant quality and I can’t wait to make it. I have leftover rice in the fridge A LOT, so this is a definite. I do have a question – do you have a suggestion for substituting the sambal oelek. That’s the one chile ingredients I don’t have in my house. :) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
    mjskit recently posted..Seasoned with Spice Infused Onions and a Spice GiveawayMy Profile

Hi MJ,

Thank you and I’m glad you asked. Only for this dish (without altering the flavor), the closest substitute for Sambal Oelek that I can think of is Sriracha. Because of Sriracha has some sweetness and garlicky flavor in it and so as this dish. Plus you are not using too much, so no big deal I guess. However, you can make your own sambal with pureed red chilli peppers(hottest you can get), vinegar, and salt. I hope you and Bobby had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. :)

6. This is so appetizing! Love those succulent giant shrimps!
    Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Carrot and Clementine SaladMy Profile

Thank you very much Angie! :)

I love this dish…and always order then I see in the menu, but can you believe that I never made it at home? Thanks for the recipe Ray…I sure will give this a try…and soon. Looks beautiful and delicious.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week :D
    Juliana recently posted..Cream PuffMy Profile

Thank you Juliana and I hope you’d like it. :)

It looks and sounds so unusual! Actually I think I have never seen such a dish in Thai restaurants here… I would definitely use the fresh fruit (I don’t like canned pineapple). Your photographs are so sunny, as always!
    Sissi recently posted..Stir Fried Korean Noodles (Dangmyeon) with Marinated Minced BeefMy Profile

Thank you for the compliments Sissi. :)

9. Liz Identicon Icon Liz

Oh, how fabulous! Perfect dinner idea…so pretty, too!
    Liz recently posted..Almond-Orange Tuiles #FrenchFridayswithDorieMy Profile

10. Shrimp and pineapple is a new flavour combination for me, Ray, I’m going to have to try it. My sister is a total shrimp addict so I’ll make your dish for her. You have a great week too!
    Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen recently posted..Butternut Squash Soup with Sumac and Coriander Seed – good thinking, sunshine!My Profile

Thank you Hester. I hope you’d like it. :)

11. Ray, this dish looks so inviting, I think I could put my spoon in there and get enough for lunch!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Pork Tenderloin with Balsamic GlazeMy Profile

Thanks Maureen. Glad to see you visiting. :)

I love the sweet and savoury combination of this fried rice dish! we do this as well at home but we also add chillies for an extra zing
    Raymund recently posted..Cheese CupcakeMy Profile

Chilli peppers really add zing to the dish. Thank you Raymund! :)

13. Kristi Rimkus Identicon Icon Kristi Rimkus

Every time I visit here my mouth starts watering, your food is truly drool worthy. Fried rice is a family favorite and the guys adore shrimp!
    Kristi Rimkus recently posted..Mediterranean Inspired Chopped Salad with Shrimp and Feta CheeseMy Profile

Thank you Kristy. I appreciate your comment. :)

14. This pineapple fried rice looks so delicious! can’t go wrong with it