Garlicky Fried Peanuts (Adobong Mani)

Adobong-Mani-with-Bawang

I have lots of good childhood memories with this popular street food. We would take these peanuts and munch on them inside the movie theater. Ahh-haha I remember the wonderful smell of garlicky fried peanuts inside a confined theater but wait, the movie had just started, why were people next to us leaving?

I remember my mom or my dad would buy peanuts from a street vendor and the street vendor would wrap the peanuts in a coned-shaped-rolled newspaper. Yes — newspaper! Every time I tell that story to a younger person, I always get the same response – “Eww, you’re gonna get sick and die from it!” I’m still here writing about it, am I not? Unless I am now a. . . “Ghost Writer.” LOL! Hey, they used to wrap meat at the market with newspaper. The good thing about it was . . . you can read the news and you can digest the news.

Well, here are garlicky fried peanuts for you to enjoy with your friends. Share a bowl of it with someone. Share jokes and laughter and keep that good-friendly conversation going. Happy New Year and may the coming year bring good health and happiness to you all.

Garlicky Fried Peanuts (Adobong Mani)

• 3 cups raw peanuts
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cloves garlic (or more) - peeled and thinly sliced
  • salt or to taste **
  1. Peel and slice garlic then set aside.
  2. Place a deep frying pan or wok over medium heat.
  3. Add vegetable oil.
  4. When the oil is hot, add garlic and fry until light browned (don't burn it).
  5. Remove fried garlic from the pan or wok and then set aside.
  6. Add peanuts to the pan or wok and keep stirring until peanuts are cooked (about 3 minutes).
  7. Transfer peanuts to a colander and let the excess oil drain.
  8. Transfer peanuts to a bowl.
  9. Add the salt and fried garlic then mix and toss until salt is well distributed.
  10. Serve and ENJOY!
Notes
** Start with 1 teaspoon of salt and work your way up if needed.

Adobong-Mani-with-Bawang

38 Comments → “Garlicky Fried Peanuts (Adobong Mani)”

It sounds so much better than popcorn! I love the idea to make peanuts garlicky too. I wish such delicacies were sold as street food here (just joking, there is no street food here :-( This is something I really wish European countries adopted!). Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. Happy New Year, Ray!

Thank you Sissi and I hope you would try making it at home. Happy New Year to you. :)

2. Ah Ray, I’m trying to be good and you put temptation in my way with these tasty little treats! Must … resist… temptation… oh go on then, just a few :). Hope you had a lovely New Year celebration. I laughed when you mentioned the newspaper. I remember getting fish and chips wrapped in newspaper and part of the experience was, as you said, reading the news while digesting the news.

Those were the days when life was simple. With too much regulations, I guess those days are long gone at least here in the States. Oh well. You have a very Happy New Year, Hester. :)

3. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

Happy New Years Ray! The garlic in the recipe caught my attention! Only 6 cloves? LOL I bet this amazing and so say. Can’t wait to give it a try. Take Care, BAM

Oh you can always add more garlic and I hope you’d enjoy this simple treat. Thank you BAM and Happy New Year to you. :)

We had this over the weekend, sarap with beer!

Happy New Year Ray

Definitely with beer my friend. Happy New Year! :)

5. Jeannie Tay Identicon Icon Jeannie Tay

Hey, this snack brought back memories from way back, I too remembered buying peanuts in newspaper cones like what you’d described! Only the peanuts are without garlic….looks yummy! Happy New Year to you Ray:D

I missed those simple-no-fuzz kind of days. Thank you and Happy New Year to you and your family Jeannie.

6. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon Icon John@Kitchen Riffs

I love garlic and I love peanuts. So you know where I’m going with this comment. ;-) This sounds wonderful. And I’ll make sure to serve these in newspaper! Fun post – thanks. Happy New Year!

Thank you John and Happy New Year to you. :)

7. Angie@Angie's Recipes Identicon Icon Angie@Angie's Recipes

I would end up finishing off the whole portion! They are so addictive!

Everytime I have this, I just can’t stop eating it. Thank you and Have a Happy New Year Angie. :)

Yes, brings back many fond childhood memories.
    Happy New Year to you and your family.

Thank you Norma and Have a blessed New Year. :)

You say garlic and I come a runnin! :) YUM!!!! Now to find some raw peanuts. I’m sure I would love them fried with fried garlic. I tried them boiled once and wasn’t a fan, but that was the only time I’ve had a peanut I didn’t like. Newspapers – everything was wrapped in newspapers when I grew up! That’s what we had and like you, I’m still here to tell about it. :) Hope 2014 is off to a GREAT start my friend!

Me too wasn’t a big fan of boiled peanuts in a shell. Thank you so much for your support and for being a friend. I’m sure the New Year will bring lots of good things to all of us.

10. Ray, this looks like a delicious snack and one that I plan to try very soon. I’m a new visitor to your blog, but I will be back as I am always looking for authentic Asian recipes!

Welcome to Wok with Ray. I appreciate your visit and I’m looking forward to seeing you again. Thank you and Happy New Year! :)

11. Liz Identicon Icon Liz

What a delicious snack, Ray! Peanuts are actually one nut my hubby will eat…and these are worth making :)

Thank you Liz! I hope your husband would enjoy it. :)

12. Ray, I won’t be able to get this photo out of my head until I make your garlicky fried peanuts! What a beautiful snack!

Thank you Maureen. I appreciate the kind words. :)

13. Yi @ Yi Reservation Identicon Icon Yi @ Yi Reservation

Fried peanuts are also a popular snack / appetizer in China. My parents used to make fried peanuts all the time but without the garlic. I’d love to try the garlicky version and I bet I can finish a whole plate of them in one sitting!

Thank you Yi! I hope you’d enjoy the garlicky version. :)

14. This would be the ultimate snack! Can’t wait to try out these peanuts!

Thank you Pamela and enjoy! :)

These peanuts just sound addictive…love the garlic in it…yum!
    Happy New Year Ray…and have a great week ahead :D

Thank you Juliana and Happy New Year to your too! :)

16. Mary Frances Identicon Icon Mary Frances

Yum! These sound really tasty! I bet they would be great with a martini (and maybe some breath mints after)!

17. Ray Identicon Icon Ray

I agree with the martini and the breath mints. Ha ha! Than you Mary Frances. :)

18. I can eat this entire plate while I’m blog hopping! :D Loved the video, Ray! Lots of garlic…looks so yummy!

19. Manny Identicon Icon Manny

Hi
    Would raw peanuts without the skin (not Spanish peanuts) work? How about precooked (blanched) salted peanuts? Do you have to make adjustment on the salt?

Hi Manny, Yes raw peanuts without skin would work perfectly. I’m not sure about precooked peanuts and definitely amount of salt need adjustment. Thank you for your question. :)

20. Carolyn Jung Identicon Icon Carolyn Jung

Forget popcorn. I’d rather have THIS at the movies! ;)

You will enjoy it for sure. Thank you for dropping by Carolyn. :)

Rate this recipe: