I have lots of good childhood memories with this popular street food. We would take these peanuts and munch on them inside the movie theater. Ahh-haha I remember the wonderful smell of garlicky fried peanuts inside a confined theater but wait, the movie had just started, why were people next to us leaving?
I remember my mom or my dad would buy peanuts from a street vendor and the street vendor would wrap the peanuts in a coned-shaped-rolled newspaper. Yes — newspaper! Every time I tell that story to a younger person, I always get the same response – “Eww, you’re gonna get sick and die from it!” I’m still here writing about it, am I not? Unless I am now a. . . “Ghost Writer.” LOL! Hey, they used to wrap meat at the market with newspaper. The good thing about it was . . . you can read the news and you can digest the news.
Well, here are garlicky fried peanuts for you to enjoy with your friends. Share a bowl of it with someone. Share jokes and laughter and keep that good-friendly conversation going. Happy New Year and may the coming year bring good health and happiness to you all.
- 3 cups raw peanuts
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic (or more) - peeled and thinly sliced
- salt or to taste **
- Peel and slice garlic then set aside.
- Place a deep frying pan or wok over medium heat.
- Add vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add garlic and fry until light browned (don't burn it).
- Remove fried garlic from the pan or wok and then set aside.
- Add peanuts to the pan or wok and keep stirring until peanuts are cooked (about 3 minutes).
- Transfer peanuts to a colander and let the excess oil drain.
- Transfer peanuts to a bowl.
- Add the salt and fried garlic then mix and toss until salt is well distributed.
- Serve and ENJOY!