Garlicky Fried Peanuts (Adobong Mani)

Adobong-Mani-with-Bawang

I have lots of good childhood memories with this popular street food. We would take these peanuts and munch on them inside the movie theater. Ahh-haha I remember the wonderful smell of garlicky fried peanuts inside a confined theater but wait, the movie had just started, why were people next to us leaving?

I remember my mom or my dad would buy peanuts from a street vendor and the street vendor would wrap the peanuts in a coned-shaped-rolled newspaper. Yes — newspaper! Every time I tell that story to a younger person, I always get the same response – “Eww, you’re gonna get sick and die from it!” I’m still here writing about it, am I not? Unless I am now a. . . “Ghost Writer.” LOL! Hey, they used to wrap meat at the market with newspaper. The good thing about it was . . . you can read the news and you can digest the news.

Well, here are garlicky fried peanuts for you to enjoy with your friends. Share a bowl of it with someone. Share jokes and laughter and keep that good-friendly conversation going. Happy New Year and may the coming year bring good health and happiness to you all.

Garlicky Fried Peanuts (Adobong Mani)
  • 3 cups raw peanuts
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cloves garlic (or more) - peeled and thinly sliced
  • salt or to taste **
  1. Peel and slice garlic then set aside.
  2. Place a deep frying pan or wok over medium heat.
  3. Add vegetable oil.
  4. When the oil is hot, add garlic and fry until light browned (don't burn it).
  5. Remove fried garlic from the pan or wok and then set aside.
  6. Add peanuts to the pan or wok and keep stirring until peanuts are cooked (about 3 minutes).
  7. Transfer peanuts to a colander and let the excess oil drain.
  8. Transfer peanuts to a bowl.
  9. Add the salt and fried garlic then mix and toss until salt is well distributed.
  10. Serve and ENJOY!
Notes
** Start with 1 teaspoon of salt and work your way up if needed.

Adobong-Mani-with-Bawang

FacebookGoogle+Email

Comments

1. says

It sounds so much better than popcorn! I love the idea to make peanuts garlicky too. I wish such delicacies were sold as street food here (just joking, there is no street food here :-( This is something I really wish European countries adopted!). Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. Happy New Year, Ray!

2. says

Ah Ray, I’m trying to be good and you put temptation in my way with these tasty little treats! Must … resist… temptation… oh go on then, just a few :). Hope you had a lovely New Year celebration. I laughed when you mentioned the newspaper. I remember getting fish and chips wrapped in newspaper and part of the experience was, as you said, reading the news while digesting the news.

• says

Those were the days when life was simple. With too much regulations, I guess those days are long gone at least here in the States. Oh well. You have a very Happy New Year, Hester. :)

3. says

Hey, this snack brought back memories from way back, I too remembered buying peanuts in newspaper cones like what you’d described! Only the peanuts are without garlic….looks yummy! Happy New Year to you Ray:D

4. says

I love garlic and I love peanuts. So you know where I’m going with this comment. ๐Ÿ˜‰ This sounds wonderful. And I’ll make sure to serve these in newspaper! Fun post – thanks. Happy New Year!

5. says

You say garlic and I come a runnin! :) YUM!!!! Now to find some raw peanuts. I’m sure I would love them fried with fried garlic. I tried them boiled once and wasn’t a fan, but that was the only time I’ve had a peanut I didn’t like. Newspapers – everything was wrapped in newspapers when I grew up! That’s what we had and like you, I’m still here to tell about it. :) Hope 2014 is off to a GREAT start my friend!

• says

Me too wasn’t a big fan of boiled peanuts in a shell. Thank you so much for your support and for being a friend. I’m sure the New Year will bring lots of good things to all of us.

6. says

Fried peanuts are also a popular snack / appetizer in China. My parents used to make fried peanuts all the time but without the garlic. I’d love to try the garlicky version and I bet I can finish a whole plate of them in one sitting!

7. Manny Identicon Manny says

Hi
    Would raw peanuts without the skin (not Spanish peanuts) work? How about precooked (blanched) salted peanuts? Do you have to make adjustment on the salt?

• says

Hi Manny, Yes raw peanuts without skin would work perfectly. I’m not sure about precooked peanuts and definitely amount of salt need adjustment. Thank you for your question. :)