Picadillo

Picadillo

This is another simple, quick, and easy Filipino dish that we inherited from Spain. Beef is the traditional ground meat that we use in this dish but if you are not a beef-etarian, you can use ground pork, turkey, or chicken. Enjoy this simple and delicious dish my friends.

By the way, I would like to apologize for not posting and sharing recipes in the last few weeks. It’s just that I… didn’t feel good about doing it while a lot of people in the Philippines are suffering from the effects of the typhoon; that is just my personal thing. However, I would like to ask everyone to continue keeping these women, men, and children in our thoughts and in our prayers.

If you would like to help, I have listed some of the organizations where you may send your support. Thank you very much.

World Food Programme
Doctors Without Borders
Care.Org
Feed the Children
UNICEF

Picadillo

1. 1 lb ground meat - beef or pork or turkey.
  2. 2 cups chopped mix vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas)
  3. 1 small bell pepper - cut to small squares
  4. 1 medium potato - cut to small squares
  5. 1 small onion - coarsely chopped
  6. 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
  7. 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  8. 1/4 cup water
  9. 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  10. 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
  11. 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  12. 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  13. 2 bay leaves
  14. 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  15. salt to taste

1. Place wok over high heat then add vegetable oil.
  2. When the oil is hot, add onions, garlic, and bay leaves
  3. Saute until onion is translucent
  4. Add ground meat
  5. Saute until ground meat is light browned.
  6. Add tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce
  7. Mix and let it boil.
  8. Turn heat down to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
  9. Add and mix in the potatoes and let simmer for another 4 minutes.
  10. Add and mix in dried oregano, and the rest of the veggies and and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
  11. Add ground pepper, and salt to taste.
  12. Serve with rice.

Picadillo

20 Comments → “Picadillo”

1. John@Kitchen Riffs Identicon Icon John@Kitchen Riffs

What happened in the Philippines is so terrible! I used to live in Florida, so I’m well aware how awful storms can be. I’m definitely thinking of those folks. Anyway, super recipe. I’ve had this dish before, but have never made it. I really should – it’s incredibly flavorful stuff, and pretty easy to make. Good post – thanks.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..Spicy Roast ChickpeasMy Profile

It is really easy and delicious dish. Thank you very much for your thought and kind words, John. :)

2. I always thought this is a Mexican dish….yours sure looks hearty and delicious, just the right one for my lunch, Ray.
    Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Welsh Spelt Bara BrithMy Profile

I’m sure there is a delicious Mexican version as well. Thank you Angie! :)

I like this, simple but masarap!
    Raymund recently posted..Hoisin Pork RibsMy Profile

Syempre naman (of course). Thank you, Raymund! :)

All quick and easy to prepare meals are most welcome this time of the year.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvest Monday, November 25, 2013 – Leeks + HerbsMy Profile

You are absolutely right Norma with the coming holidays and all. Thank you, Norma! :)

Ray, you have such a huge heart!!! Your picadillo reminds me of a beef and veggie dish my mother use to make as a quick and easy comfort good meal. So good. You’re looks very, very delicious! Sounds like a perfect meal to make to counter all of the heavy eating we do during the holidays. Thanks for sharing! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    mjskit recently posted..Multigrain Sandwich BreadMy Profile

Thank you very much MJ. Wish you and Bobby a very happy thanksgiving! :)

6. Row Identicon Icon Row

This dish looks very yummy, with lots of colour from the vegetables! Perfect for cold winter weather. On another note, thank you for posting the organization links. Even if we live far away, we can still offer our support.
    Row recently posted..Jazz it upMy Profile

Thank you very much Row. Posting the list is just one of those little things I can do to help. :)

7. Jeannie Tay Identicon Icon Jeannie Tay

Yea, can understand how you feel about the typhoon….hope the people can pick up the pieces and get on as best they could. This simple dish sounds delicious and healthy too! Would love to cook it too!
    Jeannie Tay recently posted..Angku – Red Tortoise Steamed cake with beet – gluten freeMy Profile

I hope so too Jeannie. Thank you for your thoughtful and kind words. :)

8. Yi @ Yi Reservation Identicon Icon Yi @ Yi Reservation

This is the kind of recipes that keep me curious about Filipino cuisine. I love the combination of both eastern and western ingredients. I can’t wait to try this in my kitchen soon. Thanks for sharing this easy and delicious recipe!

Thank you very much Yi! :)

Oh Ray…it is really sad what happened in Philippines, my prayers are with them…
    This is sure a simple and tasty dish, not to mention hoe colorful it is…great for a weekday dinner.
    Have a nice week :D

Thank you very much for your thoughts. You too have a good week Juliana. :)

10. I’m really sorry about what happened in the Philippines – so sad. :( I couldn’t function for many days when earthquakes/tsunami happened several years ago. Just couldn’t focus on anything but thinking of people who were suffering. Hope the situation gets better in the Philippines. This dish sounds so familiar but I know I h haven’t had it before. Looks really delicious and photography is beautiful!

Thank you so much Nami. :)

CommentLuv badge