Tofu and Fish with Tausi

Fish-and-Tofu-in-TAUSI

Tausi is the name Filipinos give to fermented soy beans. I guess the name was derived from its original Chinese name — “Douchi.” This product is readily available at most Asian markets by the name of Salted Black Beans, Fermented Black Beans, or Chinese Fermented Black Beans, and it mostly goes by “Temple” brand. Because of its flavor and aroma, it is a great addition to stir fry, but it should be used sparingly as it can be quite salty if used in large quantities.

Tofu and Fish with Tausi

1. 1 tub regular or firm tofu (19 oz)
  2. 1 lb fish fillet
  3. 3/4 teaspoon salt
  4. 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  5. 2 Tablespoon cornstarch.
  6. 2 teaspoon fermented black beans
  7. 1 Tablespoon finely minced ginger
  8. 1 Tablespoon finely minced garlic
  9. 5 strands of green onion. Cut to half inch long.
  10. 2 cups vegetable oil

11. For the Sauce
  12. 1 cup chicken broth
  13. 2 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
  14. 1 Tablespoon sugar
  15. 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  16. 2 teaspoon sesame oil
  17. 2 teaspoon oyster sauce

18. For Sauce Thickener
  19. 2 Tablespoon water
  20. 1 Tablespoon cornstarch

1. Drain and cut tofu to about 1 inch squares then set aside.
  2. Cut fish fillet to a bite size square. Add salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoon cornstarch then set aside.
  3. Add 2 teaspoon fermented black beans in a small bowl. Wash with water and then drain.
  4. Roughly mash black beans with teaspoon then set aside.
  5. Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl then set aside.
  6. Mix sauce thickener in a small bowl then set aside.

7. Place wok over high heat then add vegetable oil.
  8. When the oil is hot, add tofu and fry until golden brown then set aside in a paper towel lined plate..
  9. In the same wok, fry cut fish fillet until crispy and golden brown then set aside in a paper towel lined plate.
  10. Discard oil but leave about 2 Tablespoon in the wok.
  11. While the oil is hot, add ginger, and garlic. Stir fry until fragrant but not burned.
  12. Add black beans and half of green onions. Stir fry for about 1 minute.
  13. Add tofu then stir fry for about 30 seconds.
  14. Add sauce mixture, cover, and let it boil.
  15. Add sauce thickener. Keep stirring until sauce thickens.
  16. Add fried fish and stir until fully coated.
  17. Transfer in a serving plate or bowl and serve immediately.
  18. Serve with rice.

Fish-and-Tofu-in-TAUSI

42 Comments → “Tofu and Fish with Tausi”

1. minnie@thelady8home Identicon Icon minnie@thelady8home

Looks divine….the colors are beautiful. I have tried fermented black beans but have never cooked with them. Great looking dish.

Thank you, Minnie! I appreciate the kind words. :)

Mapo Dofu is not mapo dofu without fermented black beans, so I can only imagine how extraordinary this tofu must be. Extraordinary photo, as always!

You are absolutely right about the fermented black beans as it makes a big difference. Thank you for your compliment, Sissi! :)

Love the combination of tofu and Chinese fermented black beans. You dish looks absolutely yummy.

Thank you very much, Norma! :)

4. john@kitchenriffs Identicon Icon john@kitchenriffs

I love the flavor of fermented black beans, and it’s good to know they’re also called Tausi! This is such a nice dish – tons of flavor, but pretty easy to make. A winner! Thanks so much.

5. Ray Identicon Icon Ray

It is really simple to make. Thank you very much, John! :)

6. Angie@Angie's Recipes Identicon Icon Angie@Angie's Recipes

Looks so so flavoursome and delicious with fermented soya beans.

Thank you for the compliment, Angie! :)

7. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

Hi there Ray! I am so pinning this one so I can come back later this week to make this dish. So simple but great flavors going on in this dish. A perfect little vegan dish. Love those photo shots…Take Care, BAM

Thank you very much Bam and I hope you’d enjoy the dish. :)

8. Yi @ Yi Reservation Identicon Icon Yi @ Yi Reservation

fermented black bean has always been my kitchen stable. A little bit of it goes a long way. This tofuh and fish dish looks full of flavor! Adding to my tofu recipe collection! Thanks for sharing!!

You are absolutely right Yi. A little of it makes a big difference in flavor. Thank you for commenting. :)

9. cquek Identicon Icon cquek

simple and delicious dish .. i love that.

10. Ray Identicon Icon Ray

Thank you, Cquek. :)

11. Wow, that looks so good, Ray! My son became a tofu lover this year, and when we go to a Chinese restaurant, he wants to order tofu dishes! I mean, he’s crazy about it. I include tofu in my recipes, but not stir fry dishes like this. I have to try this. Looks easy and my son loves this flavor. I’m getting hungry looking at your photo!

Tofu is just a very versatile ingredients and adapts to almost anything you add with it. Thank you, Nami! :)

12. Reese Identicon Icon Reese

My dad loves this dish! He is Teochew by dialect, so any dishes with fermented beans will win his heart. Love the pictures you share lately – they exude a nice homey feel to your dishes (if that makes sense:)

Thank you very much Reese. :)

13. Liz Identicon Icon Liz

Tausi sounds like an ingredient I’d love to use! And your dish is just gorgeous, Ray!

Fermented black beans – that’s a new one for me. Your warning on the saltiness of it reminds me of preserved lemons – use sparingly because they are oh so salty! But I love them, so I’m very curious now about the black beans. I’m headed to the Asian market tomorrow, so I just added them to my list. I see I need to pick up some tofu as well. This dish looks wonderful and a very flavorful way to serve tofu. Thanks for sharing my dear!!

I hope you’d like it. Thank you and have a good weekend, MJ! :)

15. Helene D'Souza Identicon Icon Helene D'Souza

Really need to keep an eye out for this paste. I am going through an asian food discovery period and I would love to try your recipe Ray. Hope you have been fine otherwise. =)

16. I wish I had seen your recipe before I cooked my salmon this evening. Salmon a la Ray would have been so much better.

Oh thank you, Hester. I appreciate your kind words. :)

17. Kristi Rimkus Identicon Icon Kristi Rimkus

Every time I visit your blog my mouth starts watering. Your pictures are so colorful!

Thank you, Kristi. I appreciate your kind comment. :)

18. Malou Identicon Icon Malou

you got me on the tausi ray. tausi is one of my dad’s guilty pleasure… well at the chagrin of his physician haha. But yes, this post transported me back to those dinners at home. I would consume more than a cup of rice for this dish Ray. Sus patay ang carbs hahah!

Malou

Ha ha ha. It’s okay Malou, even with more rice, tofu is good for us. Thank you. :)

Even just the tofu this is still good, love a simple meal like this.

Thank you, Raymund. :)

This dish looks delicious Ray, I love the combination of fish and tofu especially with the fermented black bean…awesome colors as well.
    Have a wonderful week and yes, I am back :D

Thank you Juliana and I am so happy that you are back on your new site. :)

21. Ray this looks amazingly delicious! I Love Tofu dishes and my family would love this for lunch.
    I hope your family members are alright back in Philippines!

22. sippitysup Identicon Icon sippitysup

Does this product explain why Chinese ‘black bean’ sauce tastes nothing like black beans? I tried once to sub them in and failed. GREG

23. Carolyn Jung Identicon Icon Carolyn Jung

Had never heard the term, “tausi” before, but realized after reading your post that it’s my fave fermented black beans. They add so much oomph to any simple stir-fry.

24. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

This a great little recipe for my meatless days. Love fermented soy beans. I have spicy fermented soy bean in the refrigerator and I think my boys would like this dish spicy as well. A few chilis here or there is a good thing. Have a super week. BAM

25. Carolyn Jung Identicon Icon Carolyn Jung

I could go for this right now. Total comfort food with a big bowl of rice. ;)

26. Justin Identicon Icon Justin

Made this for a Pilipino Church tonight, was very well received – Thank you for the details & instructions!!

five + 9 =