Tofu and Fish with Tausi

Fish-and-Tofu-in-TAUSI

Tausi is the name Filipinos give to fermented soy beans. I guess the name was derived from its original Chinese name — “Douchi.” This product is readily available at most Asian markets by the name of Salted Black Beans, Fermented Black Beans, or Chinese Fermented Black Beans, and it mostly goes by “Temple” brand. Because of its flavor and aroma, it is a great addition to stir fry, but it should be used sparingly as it can be quite salty if used in large quantities.

Tofu and Fish with Tausi

• 1 tub regular or firm tofu (19 oz)
  • 1 lb fish fillet
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 Tablespoon cornstarch.
  • 2 teaspoon fermented black beans
  • 1 Tablespoon finely minced ginger
  • 1 Tablespoon finely minced garlic
  • 5 strands of green onion. Cut to half inch long.
  • 2 cups vegetable oil
For the Sauce
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoon oyster sauce
For Sauce Thickener
  • 2 Tablespoon water
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
  1. Drain and cut tofu to about 1 inch squares then set aside.
  2. Cut fish fillet to a bite size square. Add salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoon cornstarch then set aside.
  3. Add 2 teaspoon fermented black beans in a small bowl. Wash with water and then drain.
  4. Roughly mash black beans with teaspoon then set aside.
  5. Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl then set aside.
  6. Mix sauce thickener in a small bowl then set aside.
  7. Place wok over high heat then add vegetable oil.
  8. When the oil is hot, add tofu and fry until golden brown then set aside in a paper towel lined plate..
  9. In the same wok, fry cut fish fillet until crispy and golden brown then set aside in a paper towel lined plate.
  10. Discard oil but leave about 2 Tablespoon in the wok.
  11. While the oil is hot, add ginger, and garlic. Stir fry until fragrant but not burned.
  12. Add black beans and half of green onions. Stir fry for about 1 minute.
  13. Add tofu then stir fry for about 30 seconds.
  14. Add sauce mixture, cover, and let it boil.
  15. Add sauce thickener. Keep stirring until sauce thickens.
  16. Add fried fish and stir until fully coated.
  17. Transfer in a serving plate or bowl and serve immediately.
  18. Serve with rice.

Fish-and-Tofu-in-TAUSI

FacebookGoogle+Email

Comments

1. says

Mapo Dofu is not mapo dofu without fermented black beans, so I can only imagine how extraordinary this tofu must be. Extraordinary photo, as always!

2. says

I love the flavor of fermented black beans, and it’s good to know they’re also called Tausi! This is such a nice dish – tons of flavor, but pretty easy to make. A winner! Thanks so much.

3. says

Hi there Ray! I am so pinning this one so I can come back later this week to make this dish. So simple but great flavors going on in this dish. A perfect little vegan dish. Love those photo shots…Take Care, BAM

4. says

Wow, that looks so good, Ray! My son became a tofu lover this year, and when we go to a Chinese restaurant, he wants to order tofu dishes! I mean, he’s crazy about it. I include tofu in my recipes, but not stir fry dishes like this. I have to try this. Looks easy and my son loves this flavor. I’m getting hungry looking at your photo!

5. says

My dad loves this dish! He is Teochew by dialect, so any dishes with fermented beans will win his heart. Love the pictures you share lately – they exude a nice homey feel to your dishes (if that makes sense:)

6. says

Fermented black beans – that’s a new one for me. Your warning on the saltiness of it reminds me of preserved lemons – use sparingly because they are oh so salty! But I love them, so I’m very curious now about the black beans. I’m headed to the Asian market tomorrow, so I just added them to my list. I see I need to pick up some tofu as well. This dish looks wonderful and a very flavorful way to serve tofu. Thanks for sharing my dear!!

7. says

you got me on the tausi ray. tausi is one of my dad’s guilty pleasure… well at the chagrin of his physician haha. But yes, this post transported me back to those dinners at home. I would consume more than a cup of rice for this dish Ray. Sus patay ang carbs hahah!

Malou

8. says

This dish looks delicious Ray, I love the combination of fish and tofu especially with the fermented black bean…awesome colors as well.
    Have a wonderful week and yes, I am back 😀

9. says

This a great little recipe for my meatless days. Love fermented soy beans. I have spicy fermented soy bean in the refrigerator and I think my boys would like this dish spicy as well. A few chilis here or there is a good thing. Have a super week. BAM

10. ruby Identicon ruby says

I don’t know how to cook, but I tried my hands on it and follow the instructions to the letter. I I tried this recipe twice, and it was yummy! My son kept on asking me to cook it over and over. So, Im heading to the grocery again today after work to get the ingredients. It has become our favorite dish!