Simple Beef Stir Fry

Beef-Stir-Fry

Stir frying is one of the best methods of cooking especially for those who are always short on time. It is quick, simple, and easy. There are a few things that must be remembered for a successful stir frying. One is preparation; all of the ingredients must be prepared before stir frying begins. It starts from marinated meat, to cut veggies, and all the way down to the sauce. Think of stir frying as life; we plan and prepare to see the outcome we want, right? Well, of course not all the time but I digress.

The other important thing is heat. Yes, lots of heat! The wok must be almost smoldering in order to maintain the heat for the rapid succession of tossing of ingredients. If the wok doesn’t maintain the heat then you’re not stir frying. You are actually just steaming your food.

So, here is one of the easiest recipe to stir fry – beef with snow peas and baby corn. It is simple, quick, and delicious.

Please note: Although we used baby corn in this dish, please be assured that no actual babies were used. :=)

By the way, my cousin Ming Tsai sent me this very useful video on how to heat up your wok. Okay, I’m just kidding about Ming Tsai. He didn’t send me the video, I found it on YouTube. But he’s really my cousin from another uncle! :=P

Beef Stir Fry

13. 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
  14. 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
  15. 1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
  16. 1 Tablespoon sesame oil

17. 1 Tablespoon water
  18. 1 teaspoon cornstarch

1. In a bowl, add 2 Tablespoon soy sauce, 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon dry sherry, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Stir until fully combined.
  2. Add sliced beef in the marinade. Mix until beef is fully coated.
  3. Set aside for about half hour.
  4. Combine 1 Tablespoon water with 1 teaspoon cornstarch in a small bowl then set aside.
  5. In a separate bowl, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil then set aside.

6. Place wok over high heat. Let wok heat up to a high temperature.
  7. Add 2 tablespoon oil.
  8. Add ginger, and garlic.
  9. Stir fry for 20 seconds or until fragrant.
  10. Add beef and stir fry until seared.
  11. Add baby corn and stir fry for about 1 minute. **
  12. Add snow peas and stir fry for 1 minute. **
  13. Add onion and stir fry for 1 minute.
  14. Set all the ingredients around the side of the wok leaving the middle of the wok empty.
  15. Pour the sauce ingredients in the middle of the wok and let it boil.
  16. Add the water cornstarch mixture and stir the sauce until it thickens.
  17. Move all the ingredients back with the sauce and stir fry until fully combined.
  18. Serve hot with rice.

Cook-Note2

* You may use top sirloin, flank steak, round steak for as long as they thinly sliced.
** You may use other vegetables

Beef-Stir-Fry

42 Comments → “Simple Beef Stir Fry”

I stir fry beef so rarely… My husband is a big beef fan, while I always opt for chicken or pork or seafood… and since it’s me who cooks…. ;-) Anyway, I like the look of this dish so much, I think I should buy some beef soon.
    Sissi recently posted..My Favourite Ramen StockMy Profile

Well, same thing with my kids. Whatever I want to cook. . . they eat. :) Thank you Sissi. :)

2. sippitysup Identicon Icon sippitysup

I good wok is something I don’t have. A big fry pan is not quite the same is it? GREG

But you do have a good frying pan and that should work. Thank you, Greg! :)

This is my go to quick dish.
    Norma Chang recently posted..Harvest Monday, October 14, 2013 + Container Purple Sweet Potato UpdateMy Profile

4. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

Thanks Ray! I love your addition of the hoisin sauce! I was looking for a fast solution for dinner tonight and am marinating my beef now. Have a super day. BAM
    bamskitchen recently posted..Chicken and Parsley Pesto CalzoneMy Profile

Everytime I feel like adding a hint of sweetness, I always use hoisin. Thank you Bam! :)

The only “accessory” that my stovetop manufacturers offers is a Wok unit. I’ve been tempted to buy it because currently I just use a big heavy skillet. It works fine, but woks are some much fun. :) I haven’t used one in years and would love one to stir up this delicious stir fry. You always and have a simple and tasty little sauce for your dishes and I love those little corns. :) Hope you’re having a wonderful week Ray!
    mjskit recently posted..Spiked Poached PearsMy Profile

Skillet should work fine but you are right – wok is so much fun to use. Thank you, MJ! :)

6. It might be simple, but so flavoursome and delicious.
    Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Roasted Hokkaido Pumpkin Wedges with Apple VinaigretteMy Profile

7. Vicki Bensinger Identicon Icon Vicki Bensinger

I haven’t been to your site in a very long time but so glad I stopped by. It’s beautiful and full of color and lots of wonderful recipes and photos.

My family loves stir fry and I make it often. In fact tonight would be a perfect night to bring out the wok since it’s chilly out. I never use the mini corn but now I want to. Great recipe, great video – I love Ming, and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
    Vicki Bensinger recently posted..Creamy Buttery Caramel ApplesMy Profile

8. Ray Identicon Icon Ray

It’s nice to see you stop by and thank you Vicki. :)

9. john@kitchenriffs Identicon Icon john@kitchenriffs

I actually have an electric wok that isn’t bad. But it doesn’t quite get the surface heat you need for some things, so I always use a heavy skillet for that. Great recipe! Love the flavors. Thanks so much.
    john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Lemon Cheesecake with Walnut CrustMy Profile

Skillet is always a good alternative. Thank you, John! :)

10. Lovely flavours and quick, quick, quick to make – what’s not to love.

Hope you are having a great week, Ray!

Thank you, Hester. you too have a good week! :)

This is my ultimate solution for quick meals, simple, easy and you can use any veggies you want
    Raymund recently posted..Barilla Dumpling (Auckland, New Zealand)My Profile

Oh definitely could use any of your favorite veggies. Thank you, Raymund! :)

12. I love a good beef stir fry! Especially when it’s cooked in a very hot wok on high heat. It’s amazing how much flavor the dish is when you have good strong heat!

That is so true about the heat. Great to see you and thank you, Sharon! :)

13. Row Identicon Icon Row

I love stir fries, but just realized that I don’t use baby corn when I make them. I’ll have to change that! Thanks for the reminder! :)
    Row recently posted..Tomato jam: summer in a jarMy Profile

Oh baby corns are sure great addtion for stir fry. Thank you, Row! :)

Wow, I love the sauce in this beef dish, the touch of sweet from hoisin sauce sounds perfect…I think I will need lots of rice with it…yum!
    Ray, thank you so much for your thoughtful words…as for me, it is all good as I can face myself every morning knowing that I did not do anything wrong…at the end I just feel sorry for someone that is like this…anyway, I am good and working towards my new blog.
    Again, thank you so much, I really appreciate.
    Have a wonderful weekend :D
    Juliana recently posted..Last Post…My Profile

Thank you, Juliana and I look forward to following you on your new blog. I admire the way you handled it; very honorable. :)

15. Cristina Identicon Icon Cristina

Hi Ray – I made something similar earlier this week and I couldn’t bring out the flavors – mine was flavorless. :(

I was totally missing something. I’m going to try your stir-fry next week. From your ingredient list, I see I was way off! :) Like the ingredients in your sauce…I think that’s the key! Have a lovely weekend…

The ingredients that I used were just very simple. I hope you’d enjoy the next batch. Thank you, Cristina! :)

16. daintymeetsMe Identicon Icon daintymeetsMe

wow, looks yummy, i might try this one with my next beef menu
    daintymeetsMe recently posted..A Brief Guide to Ditching Your Job and Becoming a Freelance Web DesignerMy Profile

Thank you and I hope you enjoy it! :)

17. Carolyn Jung Identicon Icon Carolyn Jung

For sure — high, high heat and never crowding the pan are the keys to a great stir-fry. And this one looks amazing.
    Carolyn Jung recently posted..Pomegranate in What? Hot Sauce, Of CourseMy Profile

18. Yi @ Yi Reservation Identicon Icon Yi @ Yi Reservation

Beef stir-fry is my kind of everyday dish. It’s simply, quick, and flavorful. Love the assorted vegetables you use! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Yi. Appreciate your kind words and your visit. :)

19. What a gorgeous light onto the beef stir fry! Making me so hungry by imagining eating this with steamed rice (I’m back on low carb diet and dying!).

Low carb is good, Nami and you’ll get used to it. Thank you! :)

20. Jeanna Identicon Icon Jeanna

Looks better than dessert, high praise in my book! What cut of beef do you get use? Thanks!

21. Ray Identicon Icon Ray

Hi Jeanna,

I used flank steak and sliced them thinly. Thank you for the compliment. :)

22. cquek Identicon Icon cquek

With delectable food like this in existence, how could I??! Looks SO good!

Thank you for your compliment, Cquek. :)

23. This stir-fry looks awesome! I agree that the right amount of heat is very important for a stir-fry dish. Your beef fry looks so lovely!!
    Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania recently posted..Sour-n-Spicy Burnt Baby OnionsMy Profile

24. Just catching up now that I’m back from vacation. Love your colorful stir fry…perfect during this busy time of the year as it is so quickly prepared.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Fashion AlertMy Profile