Shrimp Chili Oil

Shrimp Chili Oil
Every time I cook a dish with shrimp, I always set aside the shells, and heads and keep them in the freezer to make shrimp oil. Shrimp oil is very simple to make and it adds a flavorful punch to a stir fried dish. If you just want the hint of shrimp flavor and don’t care about the heat, you can reduce the amount of chili peppers or omit them altogether.

Add a teaspoon or two of this oil to your next stir fry and you will see what I’m talking about.

Shrimp Chili Oil
  • 20 to 30 heads of shrimp
  • 1½ cup vegetable oil
  • 10 Birds Eye chilli or Thai chilli - finely chopped
  • 3½ tablespoon black bean sauce
  • 1½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic
  1. Wash shrimp heads and drain
  2. Place pot over medium heat
  3. Add vegetable oil
  4. When the oil is hot, carefully add shrimp heads
  5. Carefully fry for about 10 minutes or until shrimp heads are almost browned.
  6. Place large colander over another pot.
  7. Transfer shrimp heads and oil over large colander.
  8. Let is sit until all of the oil is drained.
  9. Discard the shrimp heads.
  10. Place pot with shrimp oil over medium-low heat.
  11. Add black bean sauce and garlic
  12. Let it cook for about 4 minutes.
  13. Add chillies and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
  14. Let it cool in room temperature and then transfer to a jar.
  15. Keep the jar in the fridge.
Cook’s Note
  1. Just make sure stir the oil before using as all the goodies stay at the bottom of the jar.

FacebookGoogle+Email

Comments

1. says

Ray, your oil looks so lovely I thought at first it was a drink 😉 I also make chili and garlic oil quite often, but I have never tried it with shrimp shells! It sounds delicious and such an amazing way to use what we usually throw away. Thank you! Next time I will not throw them away and follow your instructions.

2. says

I’ve never heard of shrimp chili oil, but for a second I wonder if this is the jar that I have in my fridge… it’s Thai brand and it has shrimp picture on it. Maybe it’s a different thing, but that’s the closest shrimp condiment I have. We love shrimp so we definitely can keep enough for this special chili oil! By the way, Happy New Year Ray!

3. says

What a great day for infused oil and vinegar!!!! I wonder how this oil and your spiced vinegar would work together. Just a thought. Interesting addition of the shrimp. Never would have thought of adding shrimp to an infused oil. Bet is yields a very unique flavor. Great recipe Ray!!! Thanks!

4. says

Ray, I can only imagine how this would taste in any stir fry dish…especially with black beans…so tasty.
    Happy 2013 and have a great week ahead!

5. says

Such a clever idea, Ray! Love everything that goes into the spicy, shrimpy oil. And you’re definitely right. It will go so well with almost every stir fries. Right now, I am thinking of stir-fry long beans for some reasons:)

6. says

That looks so good. I just made a batch of rosemary and chili flakes infused olive oil. I am going to try this soon. I can imagine myself adding it to my Asian slaw and salads.

7. says

when i landed in your page, the picture that caught my attention is your chili oil (I really like that moving box of yours where it showcases your entries— how do you add that on to your page??? haha im curious) ANyways, this is my first time to know about chrimp oil. I do have annatto oil all the time but shrimp oil sounds more fab. I always get the heads and tails too and put them in the freezer but what I usually do is to use it to make shrimp stock. If you use the shrimp for shrimp oil, how long is the shelf life. How do I keep it, in the fridge or just in the pantry. Just wondering Ray!
    Thanks for dropping by my blog Ray. I love it when you stop by!

Malou

• says

Hi Malou,

The showcase is part of the theme. I like using the shrimp oil on stir fried veggies or even noodles. I keep it in the fridge and it’s good for months. Thank you, Malou. I love dropping by your blog. We’re friends, remember? :)

8. says

What a great idea for shrimp heads! How did I miss this? Can I use this shrimp chili oil for pancit? I’m sure it will go great with anything guisado or grilled when the weather here gets warmer. Thanks for sharing this and for the kind comments on my blog! Happy Sun., Chef Ray! Salamat sa lahat!

9. says

Hi Ray! I’m visiting from a link MJ shared and so glad I did. I love the sound of your shrimp chili oil, and can imagine the delicious taste it gives food. Thanks so much for sharing — I can’t wait to give it a try.