Every time I cook a dish with shrimp, I always set aside the shells, and heads and keep them in the freezer to make shrimp oil. Shrimp oil is very simple to make and it adds a flavorful punch to a stir fried dish. If you just want the hint of shrimp flavor and don’t care about the heat, you can reduce the amount of chili peppers or omit them altogether.
Add a teaspoon or two of this oil to your next stir fry and you will see what I’m talking about.
- 20 to 30 heads of shrimp
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 10 Birds Eye chilli or Thai chilli - finely chopped
- 3 1/2 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- Wash shrimp heads and drain
- Place pot over medium heat
- Add vegetable oil
- When the oil is hot, carefully add shrimp heads
- Carefully fry for about 10 minutes or until shrimp heads are almost browned.
- Place large colander over another pot.
- Transfer shrimp heads and oil over large colander.
- Let is sit until all of the oil is drained.
- Discard the shrimp heads.
- Place pot with shrimp oil over medium-low heat.
- Add black bean sauce and garlic
- Let it cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add chillies and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Let it cool in room temperature and then transfer to a jar.
- Keep the jar in the fridge.
- Just make sure stir the oil before using as all the goodies stay at the bottom of the jar.
Your comment is always appreciated.