Pancit Bihon Guisado

Pancit Bihon
Pancit or Pansit is a noodle dish introduced to Filipinos by part of our ancestry – the Chinese.  Now there are many variations of pancit like Pancit Bihon, Pancit Canton, Pancit Sotanghon, Pancit Miki, etc. But on top of these variations, there are combinations too, like Pancit Canton/Sotanghon, Pancit Bihon/Canton. And on top of these combinations there are more variations on the ingredients that give the dish different names (sigh). Now, on top of these ingredients, there are more variations to the variations and this is on the regions of the country where it originated. I could go on and on but. . . I’m TIRED already. I just want to make our Pancit Bihon and today, we will make it seafood style. We will be using shrimp, let’s eat!

Pancit Bihon Guisado

• 3 Tablespoon oyster sauce
For the shrimp marinade
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon dry sherry
Making the shrimp stock
  1. Wash shrimp heads and shell in running ** water then transfer in a medium stock pot.
  2. Add 6 cups water
  3. Place pot over medium-high heat and let it boil.
  4. Turn heat down to medium-low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
  5. Transfer stock to another pot over a strainer to discard the solids.
Marinating the shrimp
  1. In a bowl, combine shrimp, soy sauce, sherry, and sesame oil.
  2. Set aside for about 15 minute.
  3. Place wok over high heat.
  4. Add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
  5. When the oil is hot, add shrimp.
  6. Stir fry shrimp until it's light pink.
  7. Remove from wok then set aside.
  8. Add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
  9. When the oil is hot, add white parts of green onion, and garlic.
  10. Saute for about 30 seconds.
  11. Add sliced carrots and stir fry for about 1 minute.
  12. Add shredded cabbage and stir fry for about 1 minute.
  13. Add shrimp back, 2 tablespoon oyster sauce, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
  14. Stir fry for about 1 minute, remove from wok, then set aside.
  15. Return wok to the stove over high heat
  16. Add about 5 cups of shrimp stock.
  17. Add 3 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoon oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
  18. Stir until all the ingredients dissolved.
  19. Add bihon noodles.
  20. Keep turning and stirring for noodles to absorb the broth evenly.
  21. Keep stirring until noodles are soft and broth fully absorbed.
  22. Add half of chopped green onions.
  23. Add the shrimp and veggies back and mix with the noodles.
  24. Serve Hot.
  25. Garnish with the remaining chopped green onions.
  26. Lemon juice and soy sauce is the usual condiment.
Cook's Note:
  1. ** How do you wash something in running water? Very fast because you may not be able to catch it. Hahaha!

Pancit Bihon.

FacebookGoogle+Email

Comments

1. says

I am so happy to have stopped by today and found this. I have such fond memories of Pancit. My mom was quite the adventurous cook in her day and one of her good friends taught her how to make this dish. I absolutely loved it. I have always wanted to try it myself.

2. says

Ray your bihon looks delicious, love the flavors that you have in it…it sure bring memories of my childhood.
    Great pictures as always. Have a great week!

3. says

Oh Ray – I love a good noodle bowl and this one looks delicious! As with any soup, especially noodle soups, I think the best part is the stock. I love that you made a shrimp stock and the addition of oyster sauce sounds interesting. I’ll have to remember that next time. What a hearty noodle bowl with the cabbage, carrots and shrimp! I could use a bowl of this to warm up right now. It’s cold here!

4. says

I’ve seen a lot of food bloggers using bihon lately. And the funny thing is that I do crave it when I look at the photos… These thin noodles always make me feel like I can eat a little more (which means it’s hard to stop eating). Need to stop by Asian store soon to pick up bihon. I’ll try the brand you used too!

5. says

Pancit bihon guisado is one of my favorite dishes to cook any busy night esp. when I have leftovers of pork, shrimps, chicken and lots of vegetables. Your photos are so mouthwatering, it’s hard to resist. Now I’m inspired to cook some pancit for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing this, Chef Ray!

6. says

It sounds complicated but looks luscious! I have never had cornstarch noodles (my favourite are sweet potato Korean noodles but I like all the noodles in the world). Thanks for sharing another wonderful sunny recipe.

• says

Hi Norma,

I remember bihon used to be called rice sticks and not cornstarch. I’m sure if you use rick sticks, it will be fine. Thank your for dropping by, Norma! :)

7. says

I always have pancit bihon in my pantry. It comes in handy when you want to throw something new (and pandagdag sa ulam) when you have left-overs. But as always Ray, your panict bihon picture is like the centerfold of all pancit bihon pictures I’ve seen.

Enjoy your day!
    Mlou

• says

Oh yes, Malou. Pancit can always for lack of better words, “reincarnate” most leftover meat. Aba naligaw ka, Hahaha! Thank you and good to see you. We should chat later. :)

8. says

Sounds like Pancit is a complicated story Ray. There must be all kind of regional versions of it. Just as Reem mentioned, I have seen them in stores as well, but I never knew what to do with those asian noodles. I am so used to European pasta, all this is new to me. Thank you for explaining and sharing your recipe Ray.

9. says

Yummy! Look at those succulent shrimp! In Malaysia, we just call it bee hoon/ bihoon or mee hoon regardless the variations:) I miss having mee hoon for breakfast with a cup of really thick local coffee…it is too much work to whip up bee hoon in the morning though, so I can have a plate of your delicious looking pancit right now for my second breakfast.