Pancit Bihon Guisado

Pancit Bihon

Pancit or Pansit is a noodle dish introduced to Filipinos by part of our ancestry – the Chinese.  Now there are many variations of pancit like Pancit Bihon, Pancit Canton, Pancit Sotanghon, Pancit Miki, etc. But on top of these variations, there are combinations too, like Pancit Canton/Sotanghon, Pancit Bihon/Canton. And on top of these combinations there are more variations on the ingredients that give the dish different names (sigh). Now, on top of these ingredients, there are more variations to the variations and this is on the regions of the country where it originated. I could go on and on but. . . I’m TIRED already. I just want to make our Pancit Bihon and today, we will make it seafood style. We will be using shrimp, let’s eat!

Pancit Bihon Guisado

13. 3 Tablespoon oyster sauce
  14. For the shrimp marinade
  15. 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  16. 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  17. 1 teaspoon dry sherry

Making the shrimp stock
  1. Wash shrimp heads and shell in running ** water then transfer in a medium stock pot.
  2. Add 6 cups water
  3. Place pot over medium-high heat and let it boil.
  4. Turn heat down to medium-low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
  5. Transfer stock to another pot over a strainer to discard the solids.

6. Marinating the shrimp
  7. In a bowl, combine shrimp, soy sauce, sherry, and sesame oil.
  8. Set aside for about 15 minute.
  9. Place wok over high heat.
  10. Add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
  11. When the oil is hot, add shrimp.
  12. Stir fry shrimp until it's light pink.
  13. Remove from wok then set aside.
  14. Add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
  15. When the oil is hot, add white parts of green onion, and garlic.
  16. Saute for about 30 seconds.
  17. Add sliced carrots and stir fry for about 1 minute.
  18. Add shredded cabbage and stir fry for about 1 minute.
  19. Add shrimp back, 2 tablespoon oyster sauce, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
  20. Stir fry for about 1 minute, remove from wok, then set aside.
  21. Return wok to the stove over high heat
  22. Add about 5 cups of shrimp stock.
  23. Add 3 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoon oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
  24. Stir until all the ingredients dissolved.
  25. Add bihon noodles.
  26. Keep turning and stirring for noodles to absorb the broth evenly.
  27. Keep stirring until noodles are soft and broth fully absorbed.
  28. Add half of chopped green onions.
  29. Add the shrimp and veggies back and mix with the noodles.
  30. Serve Hot.
  31. Garnish with the remaining chopped green onions.
  32. Lemon juice and soy sauce is the usual condiment.

34. Cook's Note:
  35. ** How do you wash something in running water? Very fast because you may not be able to catch it. Hahaha!

Rouxbe Online Cooking School & Video Recipes

Pancit Bihon

Related Posts

43 Comments → “Pancit Bihon Guisado”

1. I just shared a post on pancit bihon recently, too. I never tire of eating it and yours looks perfect!

1 year ago

Thank you, Jean. Bihon is always popular of all the pancit. :)

2. PolaM Identicon Icon PolaM

Great recipe! Quick and delicious,

3. I am so happy to have stopped by today and found this. I have such fond memories of Pancit. My mom was quite the adventurous cook in her day and one of her good friends taught her how to make this dish. I absolutely loved it. I have always wanted to try it myself.

1 year ago

It is so easy to cook and you should try it. Thank you, Valerie! :)

1 year ago

Ray your bihon looks delicious, love the flavors that you have in it…it sure bring memories of my childhood.
    Great pictures as always. Have a great week!

1 year ago

I’m glad it did, Juliana. Thank you! :)

5. Kankana Identicon Icon Kankana

1 year ago

I like trying out new variety of noodles! Will pick a packet of that next time and with shrimp, I know we would love it.

1 year ago

Can’t go wrong with shrimp. Thank you, Kankana!

6. john@kitchenriffs Identicon Icon john@kitchenriffs

1 year ago

I love noodle dishes like this! Great flavors. And it looks like a pretty simple recipe (although there’s a lot going on). Good stuff – thanks.

1 year ago

Don’t let the steps stop you. It is really easy to make as long as you had everything prep’d. Thank you, John! :)

1 year ago

Oh Ray – I love a good noodle bowl and this one looks delicious! As with any soup, especially noodle soups, I think the best part is the stock. I love that you made a shrimp stock and the addition of oyster sauce sounds interesting. I’ll have to remember that next time. What a hearty noodle bowl with the cabbage, carrots and shrimp! I could use a bowl of this to warm up right now. It’s cold here!

1 year ago

Shrimp stock is one of my favorite to use in noodle dish like this. Thank you, MJ!

8. A very delicious bhon stir-fry with prawns, Ray.

9. I’ve seen a lot of food bloggers using bihon lately. And the funny thing is that I do crave it when I look at the photos… These thin noodles always make me feel like I can eat a little more (which means it’s hard to stop eating). Need to stop by Asian store soon to pick up bihon. I’ll try the brand you used too!

1 year ago

They are really light noodles and delicious with the sauce. Thank you, Nami!

10. Pancit bihon guisado is one of my favorite dishes to cook any busy night esp. when I have leftovers of pork, shrimps, chicken and lots of vegetables. Your photos are so mouthwatering, it’s hard to resist. Now I’m inspired to cook some pancit for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing this, Chef Ray!

1 year ago

Left over meat is perfect for this dish. Also, this is the second life of chop suey! Thank you, Elizabeth! :)

When I see any pancit variant it reminds me of Fiestas or Birthdays

1 year ago

Yep, pancis is for special occasions for most folks. Thank you, Raymund!

1 year ago

It sounds complicated but looks luscious! I have never had cornstarch noodles (my favourite are sweet potato Korean noodles but I like all the noodles in the world). Thanks for sharing another wonderful sunny recipe.

1 year ago

I know, it does sounds complicated to make because of the steps but it is actually very easy to make. Thank you, Sissi!

13. Ray, your food is so much better than your jokes :) This has my mouth watering. It looks like one of those dishes where you need to have everything ready to go as once you start cooking you’re firing ingredients into the pan in rapid succession.

1 year ago

Haha! Sorry about that but the man can only try. Thank you, Hester! :)

1 year ago

One of my favorite dishes. I don’t recall seeing cornstarch sticks in the Asian markets I frequent, must look more carefully. Have seen tapioca sticks and of course rice sticks which I assume are interchangable.
    Norma Chang recently posted: 5-spice Marinated Tofu with Snow Peas & Lutus Root. http://gardentowok.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/5-spice-marinated-tofu-with-snow-peas-lotus-root/.

Hi Norma,

I remember bihon used to be called rice sticks and not cornstarch. I’m sure if you use rick sticks, it will be fine. Thank your for dropping by, Norma! :)

15. Liz Identicon Icon Liz

1 year ago

What a gorgeous shrimp dish, Ray! I love, love oyster sauce, so I know this must taste as wonderful as it looks!

1 year ago

Thank you for the kind words, Liz! :)

16. Your bihon with prawns look very delicious! I must learn from you to cook some Filipino dishes at home :)

1 year ago

Thank you and good to see you, Ann! :)

17. I’ve never had this dish before but it sounds great. I have everything but the noodles…I will have to look for them at the market.

1 year ago

Thank you, Karen! I’m sure you will find this noodle in an Asian Market. :)

18. I always have pancit bihon in my pantry. It comes in handy when you want to throw something new (and pandagdag sa ulam) when you have left-overs. But as always Ray, your panict bihon picture is like the centerfold of all pancit bihon pictures I’ve seen.

Enjoy your day!
    Mlou

1 year ago

Oh yes, Malou. Pancit can always for lack of better words, “reincarnate” most leftover meat. Aba naligaw ka, Hahaha! Thank you and good to see you. We should chat later. :)

19. I have seen these thin noodles in the store, now I need to try them soon…
    This dish sounds wonderful Ray.

1 year ago

Thank you, Reem and good to see you! :)

20. Beautiful photos! I love to eat bihon too (though we call it bee hoon instead). Yours look really delicious!

1 year ago

Thank you for the kind words, Jasline. :)

21. Sounds like Pancit is a complicated story Ray. There must be all kind of regional versions of it. Just as Reem mentioned, I have seen them in stores as well, but I never knew what to do with those asian noodles. I am so used to European pasta, all this is new to me. Thank you for explaining and sharing your recipe Ray.

22. Love pancit bihon! Will try your recipe soon, because my kids are requesting this!

23. Yummy! Look at those succulent shrimp! In Malaysia, we just call it bee hoon/ bihoon or mee hoon regardless the variations:) I miss having mee hoon for breakfast with a cup of really thick local coffee…it is too much work to whip up bee hoon in the morning though, so I can have a plate of your delicious looking pancit right now for my second breakfast.

× 4 = twenty eight