Salabat – Ginger Tea

Ginger Tea or as many Filipinos refer to as “Salabat” is mostly served during cold weather. It has a soothing flavor that is believed to relieve ailing vocal pipes. One of the biggest fan of medicinal benefits of Salabat was my father. I remember he used to make us drink this tea flavored with Ovaltine. Yes, the good old Ovaltine! Believe it or not, the flavor was pretty good!

Speaking of flavor, you can go crazy with flavoring this drink. You can add brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon, orange, vanilla, Vodka, Honey, etc. Okay, Vodka is just a thought.

Salabat โ€“ Ginger Tea
  • 2 inches fresh ginger - sliced thinly
  • 5 cups water
  • Agave Syrup to taste
  • Dash of cinnamon - optional

1. Place pot with water and sliced ginger over medium-high heat.
  2. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat to medium-low.
  3. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
Cook's note:
  1. You may drink the tea right after simmering or let it sit for few minutes for stronger and more instense flavor. If the flavor is too intense, you may add more hot water.
  2. Agave Syrup may be substituted with honey or brown sugar.

FacebookGoogle+Email

Comments

1. Eha Identicon Eha says

Well, the only missing item seems to be the agave syrup . . . and there is no way I can get it here, BUT, being a sweetening agent, I can think of alternatives! Knowing the wonder of ginger, I should really see how I like this!!!!

• says

I am sure you can come up with sweetener for this drink. Plain sugar, brown sugar, honey can do the trick in replacing Agave syrup. Thank you very much for dropping by, Eha! :)

2. says

Well that’s easy! I always buy ginger tea bags but now I feel foolish seeing how easy it is to make. I love the simplicity of just ginger and water and if desired, a touch of spice. Thanks for helping me to see the light. :) Ovaltine? It’s been so long since I drank Ovaltine that I can’t remember what it taste like. This is the third post in about a week that it’s been mention. Maybe I need to pick me up some. :)

3. says

Ray, I am so glad to see you back posting! I already feel warmer looking at this tea and reading about it! A splash of vodka (or rum!) would make it a perfect cold healer. Thank you for this extraordinary idea!

4. says

There’s a saying in the Philippines that when you drink this it will make your voice really nice, so when some of you want to have a karaoke night party don’t forget to drink some of this first

5. says

I love ginger tea, and I am making it at least 3-4 times a week especially now in the winter time. I usually make it as simple as adding lemon and honey, but yours sounds pretty delicious and healthy of course. Thank you for sharing