Salabat – Ginger Tea

Ginger Tea or as many Filipinos refer to as “Salabat” is mostly served during cold weather. It has a soothing flavor that is believed to relieve ailing vocal pipes. One of the biggest fan of medicinal benefits of Salabat was my father. I remember he used to make us drink this tea flavored with Ovaltine. Yes, the good old Ovaltine! Believe it or not, the flavor was pretty good!

Speaking of flavor, you can go crazy with flavoring this drink. You can add brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon, orange, vanilla, Vodka, Honey, etc. Okay, Vodka is just a thought.

Salabat – Ginger Tea

1. 2 inches fresh ginger - sliced thinly
  2. 5 cups water
  3. Agave Syrup to taste
  4. Dash of cinnamon - optional

1. Place pot with water and sliced ginger over medium-high heat.
  2. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat to medium-low.
  3. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

4. Cook's note:
  5. You may drink the tea right after simmering or let it sit for few minutes for stronger and more instense flavor. If the flavor is too intense, you may add more hot water.
  6. Agave Syrup may be substituted with honey or brown sugar.

Related Posts

28 Comments → “Salabat – Ginger Tea”

1. Row Identicon Icon Row

1 year ago

I actually have some fresh ginger in the house right now! I’ll use some to make this soothing tea. Thanks for your recipe! :)

1 year ago

Fresh ginger is always good to have and can be very handy to enjoy warm cup of salabat. Thank you for commenting, Row! :)

2. peachkins Identicon Icon peachkins

1 year ago

I think this is what I need now that I’ve lost my voice and I have a sore throat…

1 year ago

This is really soothing for that sore throat. Thank you and get well, Peach! :)

3. Eha Identicon Icon Eha

1 year ago

Well, the only missing item seems to be the agave syrup . . . and there is no way I can get it here, BUT, being a sweetening agent, I can think of alternatives! Knowing the wonder of ginger, I should really see how I like this!!!!

1 year ago

I am sure you can come up with sweetener for this drink. Plain sugar, brown sugar, honey can do the trick in replacing Agave syrup. Thank you very much for dropping by, Eha! :)

4. This is the perfect warm drink for the winter season! Thanks for sharing this, Chef Ray! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

1 year ago

And thank you very much for your comment. You have a wonderful holiday too, Elizabeth! :)

5. This tea is indeed an excellent hot drink for cold temperatures like we have now. The addition of vodka actually does sound pretty good with a sweet and spicy ginger tea! =)

1 year ago

Thank you, Sharon and it’s always good to see you dropping by. Cheers! :)

6. Jeannie Identicon Icon Jeannie

1 year ago

I could do with a big cup right now, it’s pouring out there!

1 year ago

Perfect for the rainy days, Jeannie! Thank you for dropping by. :)

7. This is exactly the drink I need and love right now at this snowy-rainy weather!

1 year ago

Must be chilly with that weather and yes this is a perfect drink. Thank you for the comment, Angie! :)

8. Nice to see a new post, Ray, I’ve missed you! Love this easy yet comforting drink!

9. john@kitchenriffs Identicon Icon john@kitchenriffs

1 year ago

Ginger tea is such good stuff! I haven’t made any for ages, but I have a bit of a cold right now, so of course this would be perfect. Thanks for the reminder! And for a really nice recipe.

1 year ago

Well that’s easy! I always buy ginger tea bags but now I feel foolish seeing how easy it is to make. I love the simplicity of just ginger and water and if desired, a touch of spice. Thanks for helping me to see the light. :) Ovaltine? It’s been so long since I drank Ovaltine that I can’t remember what it taste like. This is the third post in about a week that it’s been mention. Maybe I need to pick me up some. :)

1 year ago

Ray, this ginger tea is perfect for this cold weather…and I use the same brand of agave syrup :)
    Have a wonderful week!

12. PolaM Identicon Icon PolaM

1 year ago

Love ginger tea! Have to make it more often!

13. Kankana Identicon Icon Kankana

1 year ago

This is what I am drinking all week long. It’s helping my soar throat ! We however also add dried bay leaves and few cardamoms pods.

14. Ginger tea is the staple health drink in our household, especially in the winter months. Usually with a squeeze of lime (no sugar or sweetener). Ovaltine?! Hmmm…:)

1 year ago

Ray, I am so glad to see you back posting! I already feel warmer looking at this tea and reading about it! A splash of vodka (or rum!) would make it a perfect cold healer. Thank you for this extraordinary idea!

16. One of the hotels I stayed at Austria had slices of ginger next to where tea was prepared. I loved putting a slice in my tea each morning.

17. I love ginger and I’m tempted to try this! I don’t have Agave Syrup now but will substitute with honey. The addition of cinnamon is interesting and I’m about to find out the flavor as soon as I make this! :D

1 year ago

There’s a saying in the Philippines that when you drink this it will make your voice really nice, so when some of you want to have a karaoke night party don’t forget to drink some of this first

19. I love ginger tea, and I am making it at least 3-4 times a week especially now in the winter time. I usually make it as simple as adding lemon and honey, but yours sounds pretty delicious and healthy of course. Thank you for sharing

20. Amanda@ChewTown Identicon Icon Amanda@ChewTown

1 year ago

It’s so hot here in Sydney, its hard to imagine drinking hot tea… but that being said, I’m going to try this the moment it cools down in a few months.

21. Hi Ray,

I love this tea – soothing and refreshing and so good for you.

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a delicious New Year! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes. Hester x

nine − = 5