Sweet and Sour dish — particularly sweet and sour pork is a Cantonese dish that was introduced by Chinese migrants to the West in the early part of 20th Century. Since then, it evolved into variety of dishes with the same basic ingredients — sweet and sour sauce. Some are prepared with chicken and some are prepared with seafood such as fish and shrimp; sweet and sour meatballs dish is just another twist.
Preparing sweet and sour meatballs is very simple and don’t let the long list of ingredients and procedure scare you. I only organized it in a way where you can serve it quickly right after cooking. There are two different methods of cooking the meatballs. You can deep fry them or bake them—just like what I did here. By the way, this is also a good appetizer for your next party. Just cook the meatballs and serve them with sweet and sour sauce without the veggies.
- 1 lb ground pork or ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 of small onion - finely chopped
- 1 small carrot - finely chopped
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup pineapple chunks - juice drained
- 1 small carrot - sliced thinly
- 1/2 of small green bell pepper - sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 of small red bell pepper - sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 of small onion - diced 1/2 inch square
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil for stir frying.
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoon palm vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon water and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch (as thickener)
- In a bowl, combine all the meatballs ingredients.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- In a separate small bowl, combine water and cornstarch (thickener) then set aside.
- In a sauce pan, combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Place sauce pan on medium heat.
- Stir the sauce until it starts boiling.
- Add water and cornstarch thickener then continue stirring until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Turn the heat off then set the sauce aside.
- Add water in a small bowl or cup then set aside within your work area.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper then set aside within your work area.
- Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wet your palms with a bit of water from the bowl. Water will prevent the ground meat from sticking to your palm.
- Scoop one teaspoon ground meat then place on your palm.
- Mold each into balls with both palms.
- Place each meatballs on the lined baking tray.
- Repeat the process until all of ground meat have been molded.
- You should be able to come up with meatballs that are about 1 inch in diameter. Oh, I just noticed! Is my middle finger crooked or what? Anyway, after molding all the ground meat (like the picture below), place the tray of meatballs in preheated oven then bake for 20 minutes or until meatballs are golden brown.
- Note: Do these steps only when the meatballs and sauce are already cooked.
- Place wok over high heat. Let the wok smolder a little bit before adding the oil.
- Add the vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add sliced carrots then stir fry for about 1 minute.
- Add minced garlic then stir fry for 10 seconds.
- Add pineapple chunks then stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add cooked meatballs then stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add bell peppers and onions then stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add sauce and boil for about 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately with rice.
Your comment is always appreciated.