Beef Caldereta (Filipino Beef Stew)

Beef Caldereta AKA Kaldareta is one of those Filipino dishes that become more flavorful as you keep reheating it.   I remember when I was growing up, my dad used to purposely cook more of this delicious dish so he can have leftover and he would keep reheating it until the meat falls apart.  He would then use bread to mop the sauce off the plate.  Let me tell you, my dad ate very well, haha.

I like using beef shanks because it creates good flavor to the broth.  One thing about the shanks is that it has the bone marrow which personally I like adding to my dish but if you’d like to discard it, it’s up to you; just follow the directions below OR just buy the boneless ones if you can find it.

By the way, I’m just wondering if it’s true that men are like Caldereta — the older they get the better they become.  Okay, okay, I’m just saying.

Beef Caldereta (Filipino Beef Stew)

• 2 lbs. Beef Shanks
  • 1 Lemon
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • 3 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cup Tomato Sauce
  • 2 medium Potatoes - cut in 2 inches cubes
  • 1 small Red Bell Pepper - sliced lengthwise
  • 1 small Green Bell Pepper - sliced lengthwise
  • 2 Serrano Chili Pepper (you may use Jalapeno)
  • 1 cup Coconut Milk (you may add more for richer flavor)
  • 1 ½ Tablespoon Liver Spread
  • ½ cup Black Olives (optional)
  • 3 Bay Leaves
  • 3 cloves garlic – sliced thinly
  • ½ Onion - diced
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cook's Note
  • For richer flavor, use coconut milk with higher fat contents like 12 grams or more.

1. Now, before removing the bones, please be extra careful when using knives. I only have 4 "Make Sure" rules on handling knives:
  2. 1. Make sure your knife is always sharp. For some weird reason, dull knives are attracted to our fingers. :)
  3. 2. Make sure you can see your other hand and its five fingers before cutting. In my case it's four (okay, just kidding).
  4. 3. Make sure that when cutting, the direction of the blade is not going towards you (or not towards someone else). :)
  5. 4. Make sure you remember rules 1, 2, and 3.
  6. To remove the bones from the shank, follow the directions below.

7. Cut the meat in stew size cubes (about 2 inches square).

8. In a bowl, combine beef, lemon, soy sauce, ground black pepper, and worcestershire sauce
  9. Set it aside and let it marinate for at least ½ hour.
  10. Place casserole over high heat.
  11. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
  12. When the oil is hot, add potatoes and fry until lightly browned.
  13. Place potatoes on a plate then set aside.
  14. Add 1 tablespoon Olive oil.
  15. When the oil is hot, add beef then sauté until lightly browned.
  16. Place browned beef on a plate then set aside.
  17. Add 1 tablespoon Olive Oil.
  18. When the oil is hot, add garlic, bay leaves, and onion then sauté until onion is translucent.
  19. Add beef back to the casserole.
  20. Add water then let it boil.
  21. *Note – As you boil the meat, amount of liquid will reduce, so please note and keep the original level of water and add more if needed.
  22. Turn heat to medium and cover until meat is halfway tender.
  23. Add tomato sauce then continue to simmer until beef is fully tender.
  24. Add coconut milk and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
  25. In a bowl, combine liver spread and 3 tablespoon water.
  26. Mix until liver spread is fully dissolved.
  27. Add the mixture to the Caldereta.
  28. Keep mixing until fully combined.
  29. Add fried potatoes and let it simmer until potatoes are fully cooked but not mushy.
  30. Add chili peppers, bell peppers, and olives.
  31. Let it boil for another 3 minutes.
  32. Serve hot with rice or bread

Comments

1. says

You know, my dad eats Kaldereta, Mechado and Menudo that way. LOL! I love love love Beef Caldereta and that Caldereta of yours with the Olives and the bell peppers looks so delicious!

2. says

Ohhh, Ray…your yummy Kaldereta just made my stomach growls!!! This is my favorite…and this is my husband’s specialty! We don’t ususally put coconut milk in it though…but we have tried it and we find it equally delicious!

3. says

Oh my God, this is absolutely delicious! I want to just pick up a spoon and eat it all up! The meat chunks look so good and robust, perfect for this dish. That sauce looks so inviting, I can just imagine it on rice! Thanks for sharing this, Chef Ray! As always, totally terrific!

4. says

Wow… this looks really delicious – and again Ray, you take beautiful shot of brown food!! Amazing photography. And lots of ingredients in the stew… I love it. Is the knife Filipino knife? I’ve never seen it and I really like the shape. Very unique! Heheee you are always funny Ray. ;-)

5. Scheree Asprah Identicon Scheree Asprah says

Thanks for this Ray, I will surely try this your style ha ha. Anyway, I think I don’t agree that the older men get the better ha ha they get irritable :)) (joke!)

6. says

Ray, I am so tempted to try your dish, especially now when we have Autumn colder days…
    I love the dishes which have more flavour every time they are reheated… I have never used beef shank, thanks for the tip! My family in law is crazy for beef marrow, but I have never had the occasion to taste them. I must remember buying the bones! When I simmer beef for long hours I usually buy beef cheeks. After several hours they simply start melting and are irresistible (though it’s better not to tell guests what they eat before they finish, have seconds, thirds…). I make Beef Rendang always with cheeks.
    As always, your photos are extraordinary and so perfectly made… I wish I could be such a good photographer one day.

• says

Thank you for a very nice compliment, Sissi! Beef shanks are good for this type of dish. It take a little longer to cook but once it’s tenderized, you will get all the nice flavor to the broth. Thank you, Sissi! :)

7. says

This is one of the dishes that my Mum always made me cook when I was “in training”. I like it best when it falls apart after being reheated too many times. Yum! This version is super nice because of the texture of the shanks. We actually can’t buy that on the bone here which is sad for marrow fans like me.

8. says

I agree with you analogy on men and caldereta :)
    Anyways II love using neck bon, ribs or shanks like you because of texture, meats beside the bones are always better, I am thinking of making this one next week but it seems like I wanna do it tommorow, thanks for letting me crave for it and thanks as well for the photography tips.

9. says

screams cook me Ray. No worries I will be cooking again here in my STL kitchen. I have this in mind. For now, please pass a bowl (take note not just a cup..haha) of rice. I will finish this caldaretta off in no time!

10. says

Ray – What a beautiful meal! I’ve never used liver spread before, but I do love liver pate’ – not sure if they are similar in taste. Love the seasonings and combination of ingredients!!! Great pictures as always!

11. says

Ray, your beef stew looks awesome…and your pictures are so tempting…just had dinner but would love to try this stew out.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week :-)

12. says

You know stew has to be one of my most favorite family dinners of all time and one of the only leftovers I actually look forward to. It’s so convenient, and like you said, just as good, if not better, when reheated. Thank you for sharing your family recipe with us. I am definitely going to make this next week. Thanks Ray!!

By the way, I agree with Nami. I admire how you can make brown food look so appetizing. I’ve been wanting to post about stew, but can’t figure out how to make it pretty like you just did!

Have a great weekend.

• says

Thank you, Jamie! I think and this is just my opinion that brown food like beef is best if you compliment it with contrasting colors, e.g peppers, potatoes, or even garnishes. I hope I made sense. :)

• says

Hi Andrea,

It serves between 4 to 5 people with rice. In my family, it serves – ONE. Hahaha! Thank you for your question, Andrea. Have a wonderful day! :)

~ ray ~

13. Maria Cristina Identicon Maria Cristina says

We will be having a cooking contest this Monday. We’ll prepare a caldereta dish. Hmmm… I am considering your recipe. Any other tip you can share? Thanks for this post.
    It looks so appetizing. :)))

• says

Hi Maria Cristina,

Cook it slowly until the meat becomes tender. Add more coconut milk to make the flavor richer and yummy. Thank you and have fun cooking! :)

~ ray ~

14. Angie Identicon Angie says

This recipe makes putting up with bad weather more bearable (esp during the rainy season :/).

Whenever I couldn’t find beef shanks, I found that using beef ribs made a yummy substitute.

15. says

This will be perfect for when the weather starts to get cooler and we need dishes to warm our belly. Beef calderetta is always a favorite at our family table. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Chef Ray. Must try this one soon!

16. Tom Identicon Tom says

It’s gets better the more you reheat it because you can’t afford the electricity to use a slow cooker here in the Philippines like we do in the States so that you can cook down the beef until it’s falling off the bone from the start. Toss this recipe, use a pressure cooker to cook the meat until it’s falling off the bone and while your at it, you might as well make Yankee Pot Roast instead! They’re akin but YPR is a little more pleasing to the Western palate. That’s my advice Ray, love your column otherwise. ;-)