Beef Caldereta (Filipino Beef Stew)

Beef Caldereta AKA Kaldareta is one of those Filipino dishes that become more flavorful as you keep reheating it.   I remember when I was growing up, my dad used to purposely cook more of this delicious dish so he can have leftover and he would keep reheating it until the meat falls apart.  He would then use bread to mop the sauce off the plate.  Let me tell you, my dad ate very well, haha.

I like using beef shanks because it creates good flavor to the broth.  One thing about the shanks is that it has the bone marrow which personally I like adding to my dish but if you’d like to discard it, it’s up to you; just follow the directions below OR just buy the boneless ones if you can find it.

By the way, I’m just wondering if it’s true that men are like Caldereta — the older they get the better they become.  Okay, okay, I’m just saying.

Beef Caldereta (Filipino Beef Stew)

1. 2 lbs. Beef Shanks
  2. 1 Lemon
  3. 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
  4. 3 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
  5. 1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
  6. 1 teaspoon oregano
  7. 3 cups water
  8. 1 cup Tomato Sauce
  9. 2 medium Potatoes - cut in 2 inches cubes
  10. 1 small Red Bell Pepper - sliced lengthwise
  11. 1 small Green Bell Pepper - sliced lengthwise
  12. 2 Serrano Chili Pepper (you may use Jalapeno)
  13. 1 cup Coconut Milk (you may add more for richer flavor)
  14. 1 ½ Tablespoon Liver Spread
  15. 1/2 cup Black Olives (optional)
  16. 3 Bay Leaves
  17. 3 cloves garlic – sliced thinly
  18. 1/2 Onion - diced
  19. Salt and Pepper to taste
  20. 3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  21. Cook's Note
  22. For richer flavor, use coconut milk with higher fat contents like 12 grams or more.

1. Now, before removing the bones, please be extra careful when using knives. I only have 4 "Make Sure" rules on handling knives:
  2. 1. Make sure your knife is always sharp. For some weird reason, dull knives are attracted to our fingers. :)
  3. 2. Make sure you can see your other hand and its five fingers before cutting. In my case it's four (okay, just kidding).
  4. 3. Make sure that when cutting, the direction of the blade is not going towards you (or not towards someone else). :)
  5. 4. Make sure you remember rules 1, 2, and 3.

6. To remove the bones from the shank, follow the directions below.

7. Cut the meat in stew size cubes (about 2 inches square).

8. In a bowl, combine beef, lemon, soy sauce, ground black pepper, and worcestershire sauce
  9. Set it aside and let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour.

10. Place casserole over high heat.
  11. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
  12. When the oil is hot, add potatoes and fry until lightly browned.
  13. Place potatoes on a plate then set aside.
  14. Add 1 tablespoon Olive oil.
  15. When the oil is hot, add beef then sauté until lightly browned.
  16. Place browned beef on a plate then set aside.
  17. Add 1 tablespoon Olive Oil.
  18. When the oil is hot, add garlic, bay leaves, and onion then sauté until onion is translucent.
  19. Add beef back to the casserole.
  20. Add water then let it boil.
  21. *Note – As you boil the meat, amount of liquid will reduce, so please note and keep the original level of water and add more if needed.
  22. Turn heat to medium and cover until meat is halfway tender.
  23. Add tomato sauce then continue to simmer until beef is fully tender.
  24. Add coconut milk and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
  25. In a bowl, combine liver spread and 3 tablespoon water.
  26. Mix until liver spread is fully dissolved.
  27. Add the mixture to the Caldereta.
  28. Keep mixing until fully combined.
  29. Add fried potatoes and let it simmer until potatoes are fully cooked but not mushy.
  30. Add chili peppers, bell peppers, and olives.
  31. Let it boil for another 3 minutes.

32. Serve hot with rice or bread

51 Comments → “Beef Caldereta (Filipino Beef Stew)”

1. peachkins Identicon Icon peachkins

3 years ago

You know, my dad eats Kaldereta, Mechado and Menudo that way. LOL! I love love love Beef Caldereta and that Caldereta of yours with the Olives and the bell peppers looks so delicious!

3 years ago

I love it when people eat how they wanna eat. Thanks for the comment, Peachy! :)

2. Ohhh, Ray…your yummy Kaldereta just made my stomach growls!!! This is my favorite…and this is my husband’s specialty! We don’t ususally put coconut milk in it though…but we have tried it and we find it equally delicious!

3. Oh my God, this is absolutely delicious! I want to just pick up a spoon and eat it all up! The meat chunks look so good and robust, perfect for this dish. That sauce looks so inviting, I can just imagine it on rice! Thanks for sharing this, Chef Ray! As always, totally terrific!

3 years ago

Rice will be perfect for this dish. Thank you for the kind words, Elizabeth! :)

4. chef_d Identicon Icon chef_d

3 years ago

Oooohh looks delicious! Haven’t tried beef shanks for caldereta but seriously considering it after reading your post!

3 years ago

Thank you, Chef! Beef shanks makes it very flavorful.

5. Wow… this looks really delicious – and again Ray, you take beautiful shot of brown food!! Amazing photography. And lots of ingredients in the stew… I love it. Is the knife Filipino knife? I’ve never seen it and I really like the shape. Very unique! Heheee you are always funny Ray. ;-)

3 years ago

Thank you for the compliment, Nami! Knife is just one of my butcher’s knife and I use it to slice meat. Very handy! :)

6. Scheree Asprah Identicon Icon Scheree Asprah

3 years ago

Thanks for this Ray, I will surely try this your style ha ha. Anyway, I think I don’t agree that the older men get the better ha ha they get irritable :)) (joke!)

3 years ago

Okay, Scheree I agree they get irritable and irritating? Haha! Well, except me. LOL! Thank you for commenting, Scheree! :)

3 years ago

Ray, I am so tempted to try your dish, especially now when we have Autumn colder days…
    I love the dishes which have more flavour every time they are reheated… I have never used beef shank, thanks for the tip! My family in law is crazy for beef marrow, but I have never had the occasion to taste them. I must remember buying the bones! When I simmer beef for long hours I usually buy beef cheeks. After several hours they simply start melting and are irresistible (though it’s better not to tell guests what they eat before they finish, have seconds, thirds…). I make Beef Rendang always with cheeks.
    As always, your photos are extraordinary and so perfectly made… I wish I could be such a good photographer one day.

3 years ago

Thank you for a very nice compliment, Sissi! Beef shanks are good for this type of dish. It take a little longer to cook but once it’s tenderized, you will get all the nice flavor to the broth. Thank you, Sissi! :)

8. Adora's Box Identicon Icon Adora's Box

3 years ago

This is one of the dishes that my Mum always made me cook when I was “in training”. I like it best when it falls apart after being reheated too many times. Yum! This version is super nice because of the texture of the shanks. We actually can’t buy that on the bone here which is sad for marrow fans like me.

3 years ago

Like you Adora, I’m a big fan of shanks with bone marrow. See! Best cooks think alike, haha! :)

3 years ago

I agree with you analogy on men and caldereta :)
    Anyways II love using neck bon, ribs or shanks like you because of texture, meats beside the bones are always better, I am thinking of making this one next week but it seems like I wanna do it tommorow, thanks for letting me crave for it and thanks as well for the photography tips.

3 years ago

Thank you for agreeing with the analogy, Raymund! :) Hey, anytime on the photography, I’m glad to share. :)

10. skip to malou Identicon Icon skip to malou

3 years ago

screams cook me Ray. No worries I will be cooking again here in my STL kitchen. I have this in mind. For now, please pass a bowl (take note not just a cup..haha) of rice. I will finish this caldaretta off in no time!

3 years ago

Thanks, Malou! Can’t wait for you to get set up there and read your posts again!

3 years ago

Ray – What a beautiful meal! I’ve never used liver spread before, but I do love liver pate’ – not sure if they are similar in taste. Love the seasonings and combination of ingredients!!! Great pictures as always!

3 years ago

Hi MJ! Liver spread is a poor-man’s liver pate. Thank you so much for your kind words. :)

12. I love the combination of ingredients & flavors- great post! Will be trying this soon. I agree that stews and many other foods just get better as they sit / are reheated. Thanks for a great recipe!

3 years ago

Thank you Sarah for stopping by my blog today. :)

13. Lilly Identicon Icon Lilly

3 years ago

I love the beautiful colors and flavors in this dish; just a bit scared of the whole jalapeño pepper.

3 years ago

Of course you can always eliminate the chili pepper, Lilly. Thank you for your compliment. :)

3 years ago

Ray, your beef stew looks awesome…and your pictures are so tempting…just had dinner but would love to try this stew out.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week :-)

3 years ago

Always appreciate your kind words, Juliana. You have a wonderful week too! :)

15. Manu Identicon Icon Manu

3 years ago

Such a hearty dish! I love the addition of bone marrow!!! It must make the dish even more tasty! :-))))))

By the way… there’s an award waiting for you! You can find it here: http://www.manusmenu.com/red-onion-tarte-tatin :-)

3 years ago

Thank you, Manu and thank you for the award! Love it!

16. Another amazing recipe Ray…I was reading through the ingredient list and thinking..I MUST make this soon!
    By the way..I have an award waiting for you on my blog :)

3 years ago

Thank you for the compliment, Sawsan. I appreciate the award! :)

17. Quay Po Cooks Identicon Icon Quay Po Cooks

3 years ago

Look at the bowl of beauty! I think I will have that all to myself:D Love the color you put in that dish.

3 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, Quay Po. Have a wonderful day! :)

18. You know stew has to be one of my most favorite family dinners of all time and one of the only leftovers I actually look forward to. It’s so convenient, and like you said, just as good, if not better, when reheated. Thank you for sharing your family recipe with us. I am definitely going to make this next week. Thanks Ray!!

By the way, I agree with Nami. I admire how you can make brown food look so appetizing. I’ve been wanting to post about stew, but can’t figure out how to make it pretty like you just did!

Have a great weekend.

3 years ago

Thank you, Jamie! I think and this is just my opinion that brown food like beef is best if you compliment it with contrasting colors, e.g peppers, potatoes, or even garnishes. I hope I made sense. :)

19. Kristi Rimkus Identicon Icon Kristi Rimkus

3 years ago

It sure sounds like your dad ate well to me. This dish is so colorful and flavorful. I’d be mopping up the juices with bread too!

3 years ago

Thank you, Kristi! Have a great week. :)

20. Carolyn Jung Identicon Icon Carolyn Jung

3 years ago

I’ve never tired making this, but have much enjoyed this at Filipino restaurants. What a hearty, meaty, stick-to-your-ribs dish. ;)

21. Andrea Identicon Icon Andrea

2 years ago

Hi Ray!
    How many does it serve?

2 years ago

Hi Andrea,

It serves between 4 to 5 people with rice. In my family, it serves – ONE. Hahaha! Thank you for your question, Andrea. Have a wonderful day! :)

~ ray ~

22. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

2 years ago

This stew is calling for some rice or bread to make sure you get all of those yummy gravy bits. Take Care, BAM

23. Maria Cristina Identicon Icon Maria Cristina

2 years ago

We will be having a cooking contest this Monday. We’ll prepare a caldereta dish. Hmmm… I am considering your recipe. Any other tip you can share? Thanks for this post.
    It looks so appetizing. :)))

2 years ago

Hi Maria Cristina,

Cook it slowly until the meat becomes tender. Add more coconut milk to make the flavor richer and yummy. Thank you and have fun cooking! :)

~ ray ~

24. Angie Identicon Icon Angie

1 year ago

This recipe makes putting up with bad weather more bearable (esp during the rainy season :/).

Whenever I couldn’t find beef shanks, I found that using beef ribs made a yummy substitute.

1 year ago

Oh yes, ribs are always great alternative. Thank you, Angie! :)

25. Mary Anthonette Pabalan Identicon Icon Mary Anthonette Pabalan

1 year ago

The best, I’ll try this at home. thanks!

1 year ago

Thank you, Mary. I hope you’ll enjoy it.

26. This will be perfect for when the weather starts to get cooler and we need dishes to warm our belly. Beef calderetta is always a favorite at our family table. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Chef Ray. Must try this one soon!

+ 4 = seven