Sweet & Sour Fish

I love cooking sweet and sour fish because it’s so easy to prepare. Just fry the fish, make the sauce, and
stir fry the veggies and that’s it! The only thing I don’t like about frying fish in the house is the smell. That is
why when we remodeled our kitchen three years ago, I fitted my stove with the biggest hood that I can find with
a powerful exhaust motor. It is not a fancy-looking hood but it sure could suck all the smoke, steam, and smell
out of the house. I’m very happy with it because It beats frying the fish in the backyard.

Rock cod, Tilapia, Trout or any fish that can be fried.
Salt for seasoning the fish
1 cup Vegetable Oil or more depending on the size of fish
1 medium Bell Pepper (pick your color)
1 small onion – cut to 1 inch cubes
1 small Carrot – peeled and sliced diagonally
3 green onion – cut in 1 inch long including the white end
1 cup pineapple chunks (drained)
2 Tablespoon finely minced ginger
1 Tablespoon finely minced garlic
2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil

Sweet & Sour Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup Palm Vinegar
1/2 cup catsup
2 1/2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch and 1 1/2 Tablespoon Water (thickener)

COOKING DIRECTIONS:
Season your fish with salt and then set aside.
Combine all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan except the cornstarch/water mixture.
Whisk until fully combined and dissolved.
Place sauce pan over medium heat and let the sauce boil.
When the sauce is boiling, slowly add the cornstarch/water mixture while stirring the sauce.
Keep stirring until sauce thickens.
Turn the heat off.
NOTE** you can keep the leftover sauce (if any) in the refrigerator.

Place a wide frying pan or wok over high heat, then add oil
When the oil is hot, fry fish until golden brown on each side.
Transfer on a serving plate, cover with aluminum foil then set aside.

Place wok over high heat.
Add oil then swirl wok around and side to side
When the oil is hot, add ginger, garlic, and sliced carrots then stir fry until carrots are tender but still crunchy
Add bell peppers and onion then stir fry for about 2 minutes.
Pour sweet and sour sauce to the wok then let it boil.
Turn off the heat and add green onion.
Ladle the sauce with veggies on the fish.
Add some strips of green onions and carrots on top of the fish as garnish.
Best served with hot rice.

ENJOY!

51 Comments → “Sweet & Sour Fish”

1. peachy Identicon Icon peachy

2 years ago

I love sweet and sour fish! Your kitchen looks very very nice!

2. skip to malou Identicon Icon skip to malou

2 years ago

wow naman sosi ng kitchen mo haha… I want to fork in, get all the pineapples and the sauce over my rice. YUMMMMY~ definitely one of my favorties!
    happy sunday!
    malou

2 years ago

Sosi ka naman jan, haha! It’s just a simple but working kitchen. Thanks for dropping by, Malou! :)

3. It’s funny how you say the dish is easy to prepare when the ingredient list is a bit daunting. That does happen though. After looking at all your amazing photography, your compliment on my last photo is twice as meaningful. I love this fish, just so you know.
    The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time recently posted..Bourbon-Glazed Peaches with Yogurt from Cooking Light Magazine, August 2011My Profile

2 years ago

Thanks Mom Chef! I very much appreciate you dropping by. :)

2 years ago

Ray, if I saw this fish on a nearby table in a restaurant, I wouldn’t even open the menu. I would just say “The same beautiful thing, please” :-)
    I like pairing sour ingredients with fish (lately vinegar marinated fish is a very frequent guest in my fridge), I like sweet and spicy… I should definitely try sweet and sour one day.
    Sissi recently posted..FalafelMy Profile

2 years ago

Thank you, Sissi! Fish is a very versatile ingredient but it’s the one I always have a difficult time photographing. Have a wonderful week ahead.

5. Dudut Santiago Identicon Icon Dudut Santiago

2 years ago

i am not a fan of fish (except for tilapia, galunggong and dory) but this? I can eat this :D

thanks for sharing :D
    Dudut Santiago recently posted..Ginisang Munggo (Sauted Mung Beans)My Profile

2 years ago

Tilapia is my favorite too! Hey, this lapu-lapu was on sale, so why not? Thank you for dropping by Dudut! :)

6. Sefie Identicon Icon Sefie

2 years ago

I was LITERALLY just saying to the hubby that we should have sweet and sour fish for dinner tonight! Now I know it’s destiny :)
    Sefie recently posted..Maangchi’s Emergency KimchiMy Profile

2 years ago

Coincidence, perhaps? Naahhh it’s destiny, Selfie! :) Have a good week!

7. What a beautiful kitchen you have there, Ray! Laki ng stove and hood mo hah…I’m so jealous!
    Your sweet and sour fish is stunning, as usual! Sarap-sarap!
    Tina (PinayInTexas) recently posted..Special Treats in the Mail: Birds Eye Steamfresh Chef’s FavoritesMy Profile

2 years ago

Nothing fancy about it but it’s very functional. Thank you for your compliment, Tina! :)

8. Jessica Identicon Icon Jessica

2 years ago

Great kitchen, and great foresight on getting huge hood for delicious dishes like this! I love sweet and sour fish too. So much flavor on the crispy fish. Beautiful photos too!

2 years ago

Thank you Jessica, size of this hood helps a lot. :)

9. Wow your sweet and sour fish is beautiful! It’s so hard to take a photo of fish and yours is perfect! I love sweet and sour taste – hard to refuse. And OMG I need that huge hood for my house too. It was nice to see a part of your kitchen where all the yummy dishes have been created. ;-)

2 years ago

Fish really gives me problem on photography but sometimes I get lucky. Thank you for your compliment , Nami. :)

10. Manu Identicon Icon Manu

2 years ago

I love sweet and sour anything! We use it a lot in Italy too (but it is slightly different) and whenever I eat the sauce my taste buds sing in happiness!!! hehehe Amazing looking photo too! I too dislike the smell of fried fish… even the open window doesn’t get rid of all of it! hehehe
    Manu recently posted..Comment on APPAM AND AMBOTIK by torviewtorontoMy Profile

2 years ago

That’s why I used to fry fish in the backyard before because of the smell but fried fish is always yummy! Thank you for dropping by Manu! :)

11. Kristi Rimkus Identicon Icon Kristi Rimkus

2 years ago

I agree about the fish smell in the house, but I’d happily live with it for a few hours to have this colorful dish. My mouth waters just looking at it!
    Kristi Rimkus recently posted..Save Time and Money With ClearlyFresh BagsMy Profile

2 years ago

Thank you for your kind comment Kristi! :)

12. Greg Identicon Icon Greg

2 years ago

First, I love the kitchen, fancy or not that hood is awesome. Your note about having to do this in the backyard made me chuckle. My wife gets migraines and if she comes home to me cooking fish, well lets just say it’s a bit of a sensory overload and we need one of those hoods. Finally, love the recipe. Just perfect.
    Greg recently posted..Out with the tomatoes, in with the peppersMy Profile

2 years ago

I’m glad someone can relate to my predicaments. Haha! Thank you, Greg. :)

13. Marlene Identicon Icon Marlene

2 years ago

Mu husband actually likes fish smell ! But only he…and in the end everything goes out the house. The only smell he gets now is when he eat. (and he eats fast) Overall everyone in the house love it, but my son as soon he encounter even the smallest fish bone (happens) – stops to eat.
    Marlene recently posted..Get a degree fastMy Profile

14. That fish looks really tasty and appetizing! I like your stove and hood. Looks great!
    Biren @ Roti n Rice recently posted..Italian Chicken and Sausage Stew plus Giveaway!My Profile

15. Ray Identicon Icon Ray

2 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, Biren. :)

16. I’d die to have a stove and hood like yours, Ray! And this fish dish looks so restaurant quality, it’s amazing. I’m not very good when it comes to cooking fish or anything savory so this recipe is very helpful to me. Thanks for passing the fish-love!
    Maya@Foodiva’s Kitchen recently posted..#BakeTogether: Summer All-Year Round Papaya and Longan Cake with Lime SyrupMy Profile

2 years ago

Haha, I like the fish-love thing. Hey, I’ve seen your red-hot kitchen and mine is not even near the beauty of yours. Enjoy the rest of the week, Maya! :)

17. Hello Ray..
    That has to be the most amazing fish I have ever seen…the color of the fried skin alone is apetizing
    You made me smile about frying in the back yard…that is what my mum does! I don’t fry fish because I don’t have a backyard and I can’t handle the smell…but I am seriously considering it after seeing your recipe
    Sawsan@chef in disguise recently posted..I have been tagged…my seven linksMy Profile

2 years ago

Hi Sawsan – I enjoy frying in the backyard if the weather is good because we usually go ahead and eat the meal on our bench in the backyard. But when the weather is awful, that is when I hate frying there. Thank you for dropping by, Sawsan. :)

18. Tiffany Identicon Icon Tiffany

2 years ago

This photo is stunning! … Not to mention those aromatic flavors! YUM!
    Tiffany recently posted..Grilled Peach Pizzettes with Balsamic Brown Sugar Sauce–My Guest Post at The KitchenarianMy Profile

2 years ago

Thank you for your compliment, Tiffany!

19. Kankana Identicon Icon Kankana

2 years ago

This sauce is absolutely my kinda taste. Can i use red wine vinegar instead of palm vinegar ?

2 years ago

Hi Kankana! Yes you can use red wine vinegar and it will also enhance the color of the sauce. However, you may have to do some adjustments on the amount and it depends on your preference in sourness & sweetness. Thank you for visiting my blog, today! :)

20. sophia Identicon Icon sophia

2 years ago

My mouth is definitely watering at the sight of this gorgeous dish!! I’ve never heard of palm vinegar before…but I’m glad I can use other vinegars.
    I think the best part of this dish would be that skin!
    sophia recently posted..Cross Bites with a Cross-Cultural CoupleMy Profile

2 years ago

Hi Sophia! You can definitely use other vinegar on this dish. You may just have to make some adjustment on the amount because of different acidity. Palm vinegar is a very popular vinegar that is basically made out of zap from Nipa Palm. Thank you for dropping by. Oh by the way, you are absolutely correct — the crispy skin the best part! :)

2 years ago

Your photos really inspire me to take better shots.
    That fish recipe I know is already delicious but you made it even more yummy.
    Raymund recently posted..Chicken ParmigianaMy Profile

2 years ago

Thank you, Raymund! I am very flattered with your kind words. :) Have a great weekend!

22. Cristina Identicon Icon Cristina

2 years ago

OMG! {jaw drops} What a gorgeous stove with six burners and that hood. Maybe one day…I don’t know when, but maybe one day I’ll have a kitchen like that. I love the smell of food when I’m cooking, but after that…I don’t want to smell it throughout the house and hours later. I need one of those strong fans!

Beautiful dish, Ray. I’m a big fan of tilapia and these flavors, this recipe will be a hit in my home.
    Cristina recently posted..Raspberries, White Chocolate & Almond BlondiesMy Profile

2 years ago

Thank you, Cristina! It’s just a simple stove and hood but they’re very functional. Have a great weekend! :)

23. MaryMoh Identicon Icon MaryMoh

2 years ago

Oh Ray, I really love your cooker hood!!! I just miss all the free high heat stir fry and deep frying. Now I must persuade my hubby to get one like that. I hardly do deep frying here. If I do, my whole house, every corner, will smell of oil! :( And if I have that cooker hood, I think I will cook even more and blog everyday! :D And my gosh…that’s such a big cooker you have. I bet you always cook at least 6 dishes in one go!!! I need to get one like that too…..haha. Love your sweet and sour fish….my all time favourite…..mmmm.
    MaryMoh recently posted..Spicy Sambal SquidMy Profile

2 years ago

Hi Mary! Well, big stove and big hood equals big amount of cleaning too! :( Have a great weekend, Mary! :)

24. Carolyn Jung Identicon Icon Carolyn Jung

2 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, especially that glam backsplash. And this fish does that lovely kitchen true justice. It looks magnificent.
    Carolyn Jung recently posted..Time for a V8 Pasta SauceMy Profile

2 years ago

Thank you for the compliment, Carolyn. :)

25. Rhea Identicon Icon Rhea

1 year ago

tried this recipe and it was amazing! although i did not include the pineapple as me and my husband are not fan of pineapple in dishes (except desserts!) in general, but overall it was a success! thanks Ray!

1 year ago

Thank you very much, Rhea! I’m glad you and your hubby like it as it put a smile on my face. :)

26. Jana Identicon Icon Jana

1 year ago

I just had a very similar dish at a Thai restaurant. The person with me who did the ordering said it sounds gross together, but is delicious. it was. I came home and started looking for recipes for it. Yours was very similar, but at the restaurant the catfish was cut in pieces, heavily battered and deep fried. I liked the simplicity of your recipe with the whole fish, also lower in calories. I lightly floured the fish and pan fried it in a mixture of EVOO, vegetable and seame oil. I cheated and used a bottled sweet and sour sauce, but want to try yours. We are from south La., so might have to kick up the heat a little. The Thai dish was a little spicy. What pepper do you think best to add to add a little spice? Great dish. I will make this again as catfish is plentiful and cheap here. If you cut up the veggies ahead of time, this can be prepared quickly. Like that. Thanks for your quick and easy recipes.

1 year ago

Hello, Jana. Thank you for your comment and question. As far as adding a little heat to the sauce, I would add Sambal Oelek to the sauce one teaspoon as a time, mix then taste. Repeat the process if until it suits the level of heat you are looking for. You can find Sambal oelek in most Asian Market. And yes, you may cut up veggies in advance and just keep in a fridge. Take care.

~ ray ~

27. bamskitchen Identicon Icon bamskitchen

1 year ago

Guess what I was looking for a recipe on google for sweet and sour fish and up popped your recipe so of course I I tried it tonight for dinner and it rocked. Sauce was perfect, easy to make and a great addition to our family favorites. Take Care, BAM
    bamskitchen recently posted..Prosciutto Wrapped Black Mission Figs on the Hibachi GrillMy Profile

CommentLuv badge