Black bean garlic paste has this salty-spicy-sweet quality that enhances the flavor of a lot of Asian dishes. Basically, this paste or sauce is made from fermented beans AKA Douchi, soy sauce, and garlic. It is one of my favorite ingredients especially for flavoring the sauce of my dish. So, whenever I visit my neighborhood Asian supermarket, I always make sure that I pick up a jar or two and the brand that I always use is Lee Kum Kee.
Just an FYI on Douchi — black beans became black beans not because they started with black beans to turn it into black beans but the process of fermentation turn the soybeans into black beans. I did not use the word black beans too many times, did I? Now, let’s talk about green beans. Okay, just kidding. Let’s just eat!
Green Beans & Chicken with Black Bean Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 lb green beans - cut in 1 inch long
- 1/2 onion - sliced in half inch thick
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- 2 to 3 dried chilli peppers
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
Chicken and Marinade:
- 1 lb Chicken Breast - cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sherry
- 2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Black Bean Sauce w/ garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoon Cornstarch added to 1 Tablespoon Water (sauce thickener) - whisked
- In a bowl, combine cut chicken, soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, and vegetable oil.
- Mix until chicken is fully coated.
- Set aside in a fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl except the water/cornstarch mixture.
- Whisk until all ingredients are fully combined. Set aside.
- Place wok over high heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil, then swirl the wok around and side to side.
- When the wok is very hot, add green beans then stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add Chilli peppers and onions then stir fry for 1 minute.
- Transfer in a bowl then set aside.
- Return wok over high heat.
- Add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot, add chicken and garlic.
- Stir fry until chicken is opaque.
- Gather and set chicken to the side of the wok.
- Add sauce and let it boil.
- Return chicken and vegetables.
- Let it boil.
- Add water/cornstarch mixture.
- Let is boil until sauce thickens.
- Serve with rice.
Your comment is always appreciated.