Ginisang Mongo or sautéed mung beans can be very boring and bland if it’s not cooked correctly. That is why some folks would add all kinds of goodies to the dish to make it flavorful, like adding smoked fish (tinapa), or chicharon (pork rinds). Okay here is a simple and yet very tasty version of this dish. What you need to do is peel the shrimp, fry the shells, and use the same oil to saute your pork in. Let’s do it.
Ginisang Mongo (Sautéed Mung Beans)
- 2 cups Mung Beans AKA Mongo
- 12 cups water
- 12 pcs Whole Shrimp - peeled and deveined.
- 1/4 lb Pork Meat (substitute with Chicken if you'd like) - cut in half-inch strips
- 1/2 Red Onion - diced
- 1 small Tomato - diced
- 5 cloves garlic - finely minced
- 3 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh Spinach
- Peel all the shells and heads of the shrimp. Tails can be left on if you'd like.
- Set aside shells and heads in a bowl.
- Devein the shrimp and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Combine water and mung beans in a deep sauce pot.
- Place the pot over high heat to boil.
- When the water is boiling, turn heat to medium.
- Continue boiling until beans are soft to touch and outer shells are separating.
- Add more water if needed. This dish has to be soupy.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
You may do these following steps while boiling mung beans
- Place a pan over then add oil.
- When the oil is hot, add shrimp shells and head.
- Fry the shells until it turns crispy.
- Place small colander over a bowl.
- Transfer fried shrimp's shells including the oil into the colander, let it drain then discard the shells.
- Add the shrimp oil back in the same pan.
- Turn heat to medium-high.
- When the oil is hot, add onion, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add pork and fish sauce then saute until pork becomes light brown.
- Transfer everything to the pot of boiled mung beans.
- Turn heat to high and let it boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat to medium, and then add the shrimp and spinach.
- Let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice.
Your comment is always appreciated.