Kamote Cue (Sweet Potato Snacks)

Kamote Cue

Kamote Cue is a typical Filipino Merienda or snacks that have been and still part of the street food culture, along with Banana Cue, Maruya, and Turon. It is simply Sweet Potatoes, deep fried with caramelized brown sugar then served on bamboo skewers. The reason for a Kamote Cue being on a skewer is that it is sold freshly cooked, therefore it is hot and skewers make it easier for customers to handle and eat because like what I mentioned, this is a street food.

In this recipe, I used Yams. Yams are sweeter and more tender than Sweet Potatoes, but of course, you can use whichever you’d like. Sweet Potatoes and Yams are very different in color. Yams have orange-red skin color while Sweet Potatoes have light yellow. The color of their meat are also different from one another. See the picture of the ones that I cutted up and placed in a bowl.

Yams
Chopped Yams

Kamote Cue (Sweet Potato Snacks)

• 4 Yams
  • ½ cup Brown Sugar (to start and more if needed)
  • ½ teaspoon Cinnamon (more if desired)
  • 1½ cup Vegetable Oil
  • 10 to 15 Bamboo Skewers
  1. Peel and cut yams then set aside.
  2. Add cinnamon to brown sugar then mix thoroughly.
  3. Heat oil on a deep frying pan over medium heat.
  4. Once oil is hot, add bout 2 tablespoon of Sugar/Cinnamon mix to the oil.
  5. Let the sugar caramelized and float on top of the oil.
  6. Add cut yams (don't overcrowd the pan) in batches.
  7. Cook yams for about 5 to 7 minutes. Slowly turning them to cook both sides and coat with caramelized sugar.
  8. Using a tong, place cooked yams on skewers then to serving plate.
  9. Garnish with powdered sugar (optional).
  10. It makes about 10 to 15 Kamote Cues, depending on the size yams.

Kamote Cue

FacebookGoogle+Email

Comments

1. Archie Identicon Archie says

This takes me way back when I used to live in Manila. Camote cue and banana cue are my favs. Thank you for posting this dish Ray!

• says

@Diona – You’re welcome and thanks for visiting.
      @Archie – I’m glad that postings brought back memories for you. Thanks!
      @Jerome – Thanks for the compliment.
      @Prescil – Thank you!!!

2. says

Camote Cue is one of my all time favorite merienda. Thanks you for sharing the menu but the sugar is a bit overcooked in the picture.

3. grace Identicon grace says

hi been meaning to make this fr a while now – how hot is should the oil be? i tried making this but the sugar would not stick to the camote and just ended in the bottom of the pan and burned there

Thanks!

• says

Hello Grace,

The oil must be about 360 degrees measured by cooking thermometer. Without, the thermometer, you can carefully place the handle part of wooden spatula or chopstick and if it bubbles, you are at the right temperature for deep frying. Add the sugar and wait until it starts floating (caramelized), then add the potatoes. Keep mixing for the sugar to coat.

I added a line on the instruction about the sugar. Well, without you asking this question, I wouldn’t get clarified, so big thanks to you, Grace for asking the question. I really appreciate it.

Mabuhay!
      ~ ray ~

4. says

hi!.. i tried making this camote cue… well, the first batch of camotes was a success… but when i placed another set of camotes,i used the same oil with brown sugar in it but ended up taste like burnt. Is the oil used for one time cooking only?.. need your help… :) thanks!

• says

Sorry about that. The oil can be used again right after the first batch. Was your heat set to medium? Try adding more oil after batches or reduce the heat so the sugar won’t burn too fast. Thank you very much for commenting and again, I’m sorry about it.